What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia gibba

OK I need some help... I'm relatively new to carnivorous plants and just when I think, OK I get this I run into something new! I was gifted a clump of utricularia gibba along with some other plants. Bottom line is I don't have a clue what to do with it! Please give me some starters? Thanks all.

I grew mine in this setup, it did great and even flowered. May be a bit big for some people's liking though... but I didn't have this success trying it in smaller containers.

P1010033.JPG

P5170104.JPG

I kept mine in bright sunshine in rainwater that I cultured fish food in. There was plenty of microscopic and macroscopic food and it did well. When the introduced fish wiped out the food supply it started going downhill. It didn't survive the winter.

You can literally grow it in a tea cup. Very easy species to grow. Water and bright light is about all it needs.

U. gibba will survive the apocalypse. I've grown it in a lot of different conditions, not all of them intentional. It has made its way into several of my fish tanks and spread quite well in all of them. I've grown it in water trays and planted sorta vases as well. It could probably survive in just a glass of water on the windowsill. The only issues I've ever really had with gibba is algae overtaking it and it is a little reluctant to flower for me. I also probably don't provide it with a whole lot to munch on in most of the setups. It still is always producing traps though.

Thanks everyone that will give me a good start.

Last edited:
Jimscott.. How do you maintain water quality in the tank? Do you just change water every so often?

Back