What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any experience with U. arenaria

Has anyone had any experience with growing Utricularia arenaria from seed? I know there's mixed reviews with starting Utrics from seed, but I have also heard that arenaria is a weedy species so perhaps it won't be much of an issue with this species. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Narry a clue. But if you have an option go for a starter plug. Every utric seed that I have gotten that did not come from a plant of mine have cho
sen not to sprout.

If you purchased these off ebay from a seller in Israel, then I would expect 0% germination from them. I would be truly shocked if these ebay seeds are viable and if they are, I doubt they would be what they claim to be. This seller obviously buys seed lots from somewhere and breaks them into smaller quantities to sell on ebay for what I can only assume is a massive profit.

Yeah, I would definitely choose the plug over the seeds but the seeds are the only choice that is available at the moment. :/

Cthulhu138, you hit it right on the head. I've been extremely wary of those sellers and their seeds. That one had been taunting me a bit as I never see anyone with that species available. It usually says something when someone is only selling TEN seeds from a plant that pours out hundreds of them. Ten seeds just sounds like they don't want you to have any luck as well. Thank you for input!

If it starts with a v I would advise giving up. That one taunts me as well. But appears virtually unobtainable. If you ever seek something with a similar vining habit of the flower stalks and yellow flowers try U. involvens. Or U. prehensalis, though involvens flowers pretty reliably for me.

If you purchased these off ebay from a seller in Israel, then I would expect 0% germination from them. I would be truly shocked if these ebay seeds are viable and if they are, I doubt they would be what they claim to be. This seller obviously buys seed lots from somewhere and breaks them into smaller quantities to sell on ebay for what I can only assume is a massive profit.

When and if you see offers to purchase U. volubilis seed is is almost always with cut and paste text that will say "don't give up!" Which loosely translates to by the time you figure out these are garbage, it will be too late for you to make a claim or complaint to Ebay or whoever.

U.arenaria usually comes up easily from seed. Too easily. And soon takes over every single freaking pot you have with its ugly dead scapes. If you're lucky, your seed will not germinate. Ever.

Back