What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia biloba

I thought I would share my experiences with growing Utricularia biloba. Utricularia biloba is one of my favorite species for its beautiful foliage. This is my second time growing this species; my first ended pretty quickly after I put the plant into an aquarium and it was eaten by other inhabitants.

I have been growing my current plants for 5 months. I grow two different clones; one from Taiwan and one from the US.

When I first received the clone from Taiwan, it looked like it was in pretty bad shape.

DSC_0979_1.jpg

But upon repotting it into peat it bounced back pretty quickly.

DSC_0991_1.jpg

Upon flooding it, within a few days the growth began to change.

DSC_0995_1.jpg

I was growing it on a windowsill with a few hours of direct sunlight each day. Eventually, the plant looked like this:

mi0ydg.jpg

Unfortunately at that point I saw very little, if any, new growth. It might have been the size of the jar, but I decided to try growing the biloba terrestrially.

Upon doing so (again using peat), the plant began to grow new stolons and spread.

iwk96f.jpg

The other clone I have was acquired more recently (about 3 months ago). I planted it into a small tub with Utricularia gibba but it didn't seem to do much, so now I am growing it in its own container on a windowsill. The substrate is peat with a layer of sand on top.

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

It has been a few days and I have yet to see any growth, but at least the plants seem to be alive. I will update this thread if I see any progress.

While it is nice to have Utricularia biloba spread, growing it terrestrially doesn't let it make the really long leaves that it makes when grown underwater.

It looks like there is new growth in the middle of the picture. It is nice to see that Utricularia biloba can grow like this, but it still grows faster terrestrially (for me at least).

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

The second picture should give you an idea of how much it has spread. The growth isn't really dense but the plant has spread to over half of the container.

Very nice growth experimenting. Threads like this really help out utric noobs like me.

Back