What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I decided to make a thread for the tub I am using to grow my Orchidioides Utricularia. The first post can be found in the section Orchidioides discussion thread.I started this a little more than a month ago, with Utricularia reniformis and asplundii. Currently in addition to those I have alpina, endresii, geminiloba, nelumbifolia, and praetermissa.

DSC_0736.jpg

I am using long-fibered sphagnum with some live sphagnum mixed in. When I first got the endresii, it was just a mass of tubers and traps about an inch across. Since then, it has made two tiny leaves.

DSC_0787.jpg

I was afraid that it would rot in straight LFS, so I wrapped it up in live sphagnum and it looks like it is doing fine. I have also done the same thing with the other species, with the exceptions of nelumbifolia and reniformis. Ideally, the top of the medium would be completely made up of live sphagnum, but I don't have enough so I'm making do with what I have. I have also noticed that some of the LFS has begun to come alive and grow slowly.

Reniformis appears to be doing very well in this tub. I see lots of new growth and it has begun to spread, making many plantlets in the LFS. Many of these have leaves only a few millimeters wide. Surprisingly, most of the new growth is around the pieces of the plant that separated from the main one that I planted throughout the container, and not in the main clump.

You can see some of the plantlets show in this picture:

DSC_0681.jpg

The praetermissa has also done better than I expected.

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0781.jpg

The first picture is from when I first got the plant. In the second you can see that the leaf that was unrolling in the first picture has fully developed. The alpina was in a similar situation when I got it with a developing leaf but it looks like that leaf is not going to form, which really surprised me given its reputation as an easy plant.

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0682.jpg

I didn't have enough live sphagnum to wrap that plant in live sphagnum, although I did wrap a piece of the plant that came off when I planted the first one. I don't know if the leaf in the bottom left corner was already there or not, but I hope it develops properly.

DSC_0739.jpg

I wasn't sure about the identity of the nelumbifolia (another plant I accidentally split into two while unpacking) I got until I looked at the bladders and saw a couple of leaves developing. The first leaf the plant put out was reniform, so I thought it was reniformis. But looking at pictures I had taken of the leaf before, I realized that it had slowly unfolded, which I have never seen with reniformis.

DSC_0530.jpg

DSC_0566.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

I found the same thing on the other section of stolon when it put up a leaf:

DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0785.jpg

Also, the bladders are much larger than the bladders on my reniformis (and look remarkably like Utricularia humboldtii bladders to me), so I think I have the real deal. When I got the plant, it had what looked like runners, but I think their development has been aborted.

DSC_0782.jpg

I'm not sure if the geminiloba has grown. It came growing in a chunk of live sphagnum when I got it, so all I did was wrap some more live sphagnum around it and stick it into the LFS. I hope it doesn't just stay on the live sphagnum that it came in. I noticed a shoot growing up that I thought was either a new leaf or a moss sporophyte, but it turned out to be a Drosera binata leaf, which I am leaving in there for now.

DSC_0786.jpg

Last edited:
Just a really quick update.

First, the "runners" on the nelumbifolia have started to grow!

DSC_0800.jpg

The one in the middle has gone from facing downwards to facing to the side, and the tallest one on the right has grown to over an inch. I'm not sure how high they were when I first got the plants, but now I'm more curious than ever as to what these things are.

Also, I noticed that a stolon on the geminiloba has begun to grow outward.

DSC_0801.jpg

If you look really closely at the center of the picture, you should be able to make out a thin stolon. I should probably put some live sphagnum there for it to grow into.

Last edited:
Very cool
Have you ever had to deal with white moldy stuff on the top layer of sphagnum when growing utrics?

Very cool
Have you ever had to deal with white moldy stuff on the top layer of sphagnum when growing utrics?

Thanks! No, I've never had mold on sphagnum before. In one of my Utricularia tubs with peat though this became a problem. It looked like a spider web but was much thicker and I had to manually remove it.

A few updates. I am now growing the plants under T5s for 10 hours a day.

Both of the Utricularia alpina are putting up new leaves.

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

So is the Utricularia praetermissa.

DSC_0153.jpg

And it has had a lot of stolon growth. I'm rather surprised by it because the layer of live sphagnum is pretty thin. It is nice that it tolerates dead sphagnum as well.

DSC_0022.jpg

The endresii is doing great! The leaf on the left is about half an inch tall, and it keeps making new leaves.

DSC_0151.jpg

The old foliage on the geminiloba has mostly died but it has put out a new leaf as well. Not as large as some of the original leaves, but at least it is still alive.

DSC_0152.jpg

The "nelumbifolia" appears to be nelumbifolia x reniformis, which I am very disappointed by.

DSC_0154.jpg

No pictures of the reniformis but it is doing well. Unfortunately, the asplundii doesn't appear to have grown so I am thinking of moving it back to its original net pot on a windowsill.

I know nelumbifolia puts out reniform type leaves until an adult I think.

Mark

Well looking at my first photo my tub has come a long way. It has exceeded my expectations. Anyways, some updates:

I have added highland Drosera and Nepenthes to the container, and most of them have done fairly well.
The Utricularia geminiloba and campbelliana that I added didn't survive, but I have added Utricularia nephrophylla, jamesoniana, and cornigera which appear to be doing okay.

Anyways, pictures!

Drosera riparia
fIYk8gz.jpg

Drosera riparia flowers (have been away at school so haven't had a chance to catch them open or try pollinating, unfortunately)
yGpTACO.jpg

Nepenthes boschiana
6S1Lp9K.jpg

wJ4Izeq.jpg

Nepenthes fusca
y0sUGPq.jpg

Utricularia nephrophylla (hasn't been as vigorous as I thought it would be)
TvJy2be.jpg

Utricularia asplundii (I thought it was too wet for it but I think it has recovered)
2pHYjLo.jpg

Utricularia endresii back from dormancy
oA03l0z.jpg

Drosera roraimae
HtYiG2p.jpg

not sure if this is Drosera communis or viridis (I have had both)
upSkWxe.jpg

etiolated Utricularia alpina
J8zbUSX.jpg

Utricularia quelchii recovering from shipment (got it six months ago lol)
eiUfbDO.jpg

Nepenthes burkei
c61tJrY.jpg

Nepenthes izumiae (my most vigorous Nepenthes)
v3r2LCZ.jpg

Utricularia praetermissa
PAR6eOz.jpg

Utricularia jamesoniana (produces more stolons than leaves)
Ncw1352.jpg

Utricularia nelumbifolia x reniformis (still looking for true nelumbifolia)
BwD3iPn.jpg

It looks like some of the long-fibered sphagnum has started to degrade, so I will need to change it. I also need more light for this setup since right now I am sharing one fixture among three different containers.

Some more updates. The Utricularia nelumbifolia x reniformis is getting out of control!

eC0l2HR.jpg

Utricularia endresii
6pZnIiU.jpg

Utricularia alpina (there is a second flower stalk in the back)
aWcJKcq.jpg

uRj70xy.jpg

Utricularia nephrophylla
It has definitely been spreading.
A1zA1Ps.jpg

Utricularia jamesoniana
A slow grower but it makes a lot of stolons.
nAtB8gH.jpg

Utricularia praetermissa
ERzuUyv.jpg

flower stalk in center
b4tvubg.jpg

Well to make a long story short, the sphagnum moss started to break down so I was forced to abandon this tub. However, the plants had grown so much that I had to split it into three different tubs. I found out that I had some humboldtii that I had thrown in 2 years ago which I thought I had lost. By the way, I am also using this method to grow highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora, and it has worked out great. The plants are more clearly divided into Nepenthes, Drosera, and Utricularia now, although Utricularia alpina is everywhere. lol

Anyways here are some pictures, beginning with just after the move.

Utricularia humboldtii(!)
0JiOC04.jpg

Utricularia alpina
EVR8A89.jpg

Utricularia asplundii
nvOmjrx.jpg

Utricularia nelumbifolia x reniformis
NlBTclK.jpg

Drosera viridis (looking much better now)
SKPmgTm.jpg

Drosera communis (planted rather haphazardly but they seem to be doing fine)
EvARfjs.jpg

Drosera riparia
kcVMat5.jpg

Utricularia nephrophylla
pRp1IxB.jpg

Drosera latifolia (also looking much better now)
ykNIxCO.jpg

Drosera roraimae (most of them didn't make it but I have a few left)
ZnEkyUY.jpg

top view of one tub (almost all Utricularia)
3gACxKI.jpg

Here are some Nepenthes shots. They didn't seem fazed by the degradation of the soil.
Nepenthes izumiae
JRnpuah.jpg

Nepenthes boschiana
s4KVKmF.jpg

Nepenthes fusca
p77Yed5.jpg

Nepenthes izumiae
Believe it or not, I don't think this plant has grown since taking this picture. Its siblings (seed-grown) are all pitchering but this one seems to be in suspended animation. And it has been several months)
ELBIvS2.jpg

Nepenthes burkei
4Mdry5m.jpg

top view of the Nepenthes tank
0Gh1GDf.jpg

A few months later, grass was growing everywhere. I pulled most of it out but there are still some I need to get.

4KHFyi1.jpg

SHh8nMo.jpg

1H05yJb.jpg

cyv7rF4.jpg

bQrlRcb.jpg

lots of leap jumps for these Nepenthes
i4mZnGh.jpg

dLhr1n2.jpg

fAynirT.jpg

These photos are from Thanksgiving break.

Utricularia asplundii (seems to like these conditions better, haven't seen it make a leaf this big in a while)
znoZXMO.jpg

Utricularia endresii
7IU0Oei.jpg

Drosera latifolia
pJm9mki.jpg

unidentified Utricularia
QUx9kFv.jpg

Drosera communis looking green
zUgI2PC.jpg

Drosera riparia
52PRbGc.jpg

Utricularia nephrophylla plus another unidentified Utricularia to the left
C7jE0TE.jpg

a closer view
rZGp1mT.jpg

I believe this is the same species as the previous one (still have no idea what it is though)
sc0ikKe.jpg

Drosera viridis recovered nicely
TJ2xxA4.jpg

These pictures are from winter break.

Drosera roraimae
HsdCsLJ.jpg

RcOYYAO.jpg

unidentified Utricularia again
xNyns3f.jpg

5HnwkUo.jpg

second unidentified Utricularia + Drosera communis (might have grown from seed, I'm not sure)
RWSLdt8.jpg

Drosera communis
99xJLPs.jpg

under the sun
KvCyszZ.jpg

Drosera riparia
6jUnFyj.jpg

qtHBK3z.jpg

under the sun
y4lDa1z.jpg

Utricularia asplundii
JL2uItj.jpg

Drosera latifolia
yUIT71M.jpg

under tsun
8Cp8OTm.jpg

So this picture is pretty unclear, but one of the unidentified Utricularia has tubers, and you can see one in the middle of the picture.
qDo6aqS.jpg

Drosera viridis
5FJdH4V.jpg

dIkXuzC.jpg

And some more shots of Nepenthes.

Nepenthes izumiae that is not growing
ZovxlxC.jpg

a healthier Nepenthes izumiae
E6XPZC2.jpg

Nepenthes fusca
MSukjhu.jpg

Du0iRnv.jpg

I love how red this one is, including on the leaves.
WNrEfHm.jpg

Nepenthes boschiana
5scvV9Q.jpg

Those sundews are looking much better now!

Have you checked the roots on that stalled izumiae? I'm wondering if there's a problem down below that you can't see.

I agree. There might be a patch of particularly bad soil below the N. izumae.

Some updates.

First, the star of the show! I'm so grateful that I was able to catch this beauty in flower. I won it in the 2014 NASC auction and this is the first time it has flowered for me. There were two different inflorescences. I thought the second one was Utricularia jamesoniana at first.
lXboDgI.jpg

WPIM0a5.jpg

jLIPfu0.jpg

HdlmEqO.jpg

jWtLJkM.jpg

sg5Mkn0.jpg

DDu0n3g.jpg

Utricularia alpina
This plant is really weedy for me. Somehow I have it in all 5 of my highland tubs, and that includes one that I just set up in March. Some stolons must gotten mixed in with the plants that I transplanted. It's also sending up a lot of inflorescences in different tubs, so hopefully there will be a lot of flowers in a month or two.

zfnI0X0.jpg

zfnI0X0.jpg

2wdhYI4.jpg

This is the mother plant.

MwRgMbj.jpg

ngrPxjE.jpg

A new addition, Utricularia quelchii.

TQbDupF.jpg

yNmn4Jx.jpg

This plant had a nice stalk but unfortunately it grew too close to the lights and got fried. I will probably move it to a taller container eventually.

HRlxZvS.jpg

HRlxZvS.jpg

7DjFkH3.jpg

vATVS0G.jpg

1ltBOML.jpg

An imitation nelumbifolia leaf. I'm still looking for that species.
8T3E6gl.jpg

Utricularia endresii
I can't believe how far this plant has come. Last year when it came back from dormancy it only have a couple small leaves. After transplanting everything into separate tubs in January, it is now in two containers.

qON9GIC.jpg

IDZimm4.jpg

M22UARF.jpg

SF0kji3.jpg

This is the longest leaf. I think it's over three inches long. Maybe there will be flowers next year?
89iVjS8.jpg

Utricularia praetermissa
The flower stalk on this plant is actually more developed than any of the alpina ones.

2wdhYI4.jpg

he1rG5F.jpg

ARFMqdL.jpg

Utricularia humboldtii
Since transplanting this plant, it has sent up another paddle-shaped leaf. I was worried about it. It seems to grow pretty slowly.
X90FqPv.jpg

jqa6bkn.jpg

Utricularia nephrophylla
I forgot to take more pictures of this plant.

y0KouSP.jpg

iglF1PH.jpg

Utricularia jamesoniana
GbWPGtj.jpg

unidentified Utricularia
sFBPXF1.jpg

KqznBOu.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of Utricularia reniformis. Guess it'll have to wait until the next update.

The Orchidioides are now spread across 3 tubs except for alpina which seems to have gotten into all of the ones with sphagnum.

qlshMD0.jpg

Unfortunately the praetermissa flower aborted right when the bud was beginning to swell. Oh well, one of these days I will get it to flower successfully.

i049SiC.jpg

Endresii seems to have gone dormant again. I'm excited to see how big its leaves will be next year.

Nephrophylla is finally spreading and I have several clumps of it now.

QvhOzsR.jpg

eqIWq1C.jpg

slCATBw.jpg

A few were repotted recently so they still don't look that good.

Jamesoniana seems to be doing well in a more shaded part of the tub.

VPqJrE1.jpg

Haven't seen much new growth from asplundii recently. Maybe it's still recovering from flowering.

KdgfAiT.jpg

I got some nelumbifolia a few months ago at the BACPS show and sale. This is the first leaf it has made in my care.

rSxkw04.jpg

Back