What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia reniformis

I've now cleaned up the old leaves. I took the opportunity of having the pots out to take some photos of the traps.

24822005401_392f6a7beb_o.jpg

Nice tangle! :)

In truth, no it's not. It's formed in tiers and not tangled at all. Each tier can be lifted clear of the one below. These are very small sections of the traps forming underneath the pots in the water trays, they are accessible any time I need to check them

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if they are in nothing but pure live sphagnum?

Mark

Very cool pics of the traps Fred!

That's great to know, I'll have to plant some up in live sphagnum. Cheers for the info. Love the pics

Mark

In truth, no it's not. It's formed in tiers and not tangled at all. Each tier can be lifted clear of the one below. These are very small sections of the traps forming underneath the pots in the water trays, they are accessible any time I need to check them

Sorry for being glib. I suspected that the stolons on the pictures had grown out of and probably under the pot. The neat sheets are a surprise though! I've never seen this. (Perhaps I've always cut them off and given them away before the next layer could form.)
Anyway: very cool! :)
And as Greg says: very cool pictures!

Last edited:
Leaf production continues apace. The two inflorescences are quite tall now.( top right and bottom left are the stalks)

26755263610_54f38c4bfa_o.jpg

Great reniformis there! What size pot do you use?

Mark

Those are 7" squares

Got mine in what's probably a foot round pot, hopefully that's big enough. It's certainly a whole lot bigger now, but not yet as big as yours.

I don't think any container is big enough when it has conditions it's happy with. One of the suppliers of my plants grows his in a large undrained tray of sphagnum mush under a shelf on his staging. It doesn't complain at all.

It's looking like I need to find a bigger pot for my reniformis... I understand this is generally a lower light plant, how much light have you guys found is optimal?

Mine are sitting with Cephalotus and Drosera regia. Not low light in there.

I was rechecking the auto-focusing on one of my cameras using the two U. reniformis inflorescences and the results came out so well I just had to publish. (My exccuse and I'm sticking to it)

It'll not be long before they burst forth ( they always just miss out on the medals, unfair :scratch: )

27070746482_5884688286_o.jpg

Last edited:
The flowering begins :-O

27258389862_dc238022aa_o.jpg

Do you have to do anything in particular to convince the plant to flower?

Do you have to do anything in particular to convince the plant to flower?

If I recall correctly his plants bloom every spring so I am assuming it's seasonal variation that does the trick.

Both inflorescxences have two flowers open now. I just wish I could train the plants to hold their flowers in the best orientation for taking photos. Until then this is the best I can do without risking a hernia.

27692893345_3185faf51e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back