What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia reniformis

OK yes I did edit the background, the rest is real though.

Leaving them in the cold greenhouse all winter didn't do much harm did it :-O

18651127009_b531466f1d_o.jpg

Beautiful flower! I wouldn't mind seeing a non-edited version of the photo if you feel like posting one. What's the annual temperature range in your greenhouse?

Gorgeous!

Fred,
Cool pic - thanks for sharing.

Is this the small form or U. reniformis or the renamed large form (U. cornigera)?

Leaving them in the cold greenhouse all winter didn't do much harm did it :-O
None of my U. reniformis (large or small) are willing to flower in the basement under lights. However, sitting the small form on an east-facing windowsill has them flowering, so late last year I repotted a large form & stuck it in the window. Hopefully it will get the hint & produce some blooms in a year or so. Seems that seasonal variation (temps, photoperiod, etc) helps them a lot.

All my U. reniformis, from several suppliers, have grown to the same size so I can't say if it's the small or large one. That inflorescence is 2ft high above the medium (and increasing) if that helps.

Beautiful flower! I wouldn't mind seeing a non-edited version of the photo if you feel like posting one. What's the annual temperature range in your greenhouse?

So I'm not the only one who notices these things. lol

Considering I said I'd edited the background it it's not that difficult to notice ;)

Fred,
Cool pic - thanks for sharing.

Is this the small form or U. reniformis or the renamed large form (U. cornigera)?

None of my U. reniformis (large or small) are willing to flower in the basement under lights. However, sitting the small form on an east-facing windowsill has them flowering, so late last year I repotted a large form & stuck it in the window. Hopefully it will get the hint & produce some blooms in a year or so. Seems that seasonal variation (temps, photoperiod, etc) helps them a lot.

I have mine outside and they never bloom. i am guessing we don't get cold enough or do not have enough of a photo period change...

Considering I said I'd edited the background it it's not that difficult to notice ;)

That gave it away. Lol I red your thread when you 1st posted it & replied later not refreshing my memory. :sorry:

All my U. reniformis, from several suppliers, have grown to the same size so I can't say if it's the small or large one. That inflorescence is 2ft high above the medium (and increasing) if that helps.
Yes - size can be very dependent on environmental factors. However, the leave shape can be a quite reliable indicator.

Allowing for some variability, U. cornigera on the top & U. reniformis on the bottom. I have a few clones of each & this works for my plants.

In trying to locate the original article where the differences in leaf shape were noted, I came across a CPN article showing the same leaf shape for both & several people who dispute U. cornigera as a species. Either way, the leaf shape works for the plants I'm growing. ???

Last edited:
This may be the discussion Ron, http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35435. I must admit that Fernando's stance is persuasive.
A good Scottish legal judgment.
U. cornigera v U. reniformis case not proven.

edit: A little later. I checked the plants and I have 4 pots of the top leaf and one pot which has a single plant of the bottom leaf surrounded by masses of the top leaf ( I'm not sure which of your left or right is the top or the bottom). The latter pot was acquired as seedlings. Now that does get confusing.

Last edited:
This may be the discussion Ron, http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35435. I must admit that Fernando's stance is persuasive.
A good Scottish legal judgment.
U. cornigera v U. reniformis case not proven.
Yes, this is the article (odd that it didn't show up in my CPUK search). Interesting that the author & Fernando visited the same places, inspected the exact same plants & come to polar opposite conclusions.

edit: A little later. I checked the plants and I have 4 pots of the top leaf and one pot which has a single plant of the bottom leaf surrounded by masses of the top leaf ( I'm not sure which of your left or right is the top or the bottom). The latter pot was acquired as seedlings. Now that does get confusing.
I edited my post so the pics are above & below each other for everyone. From your description, it sounds like you have the large forms of U. reniformis (aka: U. cornigera - if you're a believer) as a single leaf doesn't take away the conclusion.

How large are your leaves? My U. reniformis rarely exceed ~5cm diameter. Established pots of U. reniformis 'Big Sister' / larger form of U. reniformis / U. cornigera are almost always larger than 5cm - usually by a lot. Here's a pic of the larger U. reniformis that frequents eBay postings.

From your description, it sounds like you have the large forms of U. reniformis (aka: U. cornigera - if you're a believer) as a single leaf doesn't take away the conclusion..

*That would be 4 leaves of around 6cm as are all the others in that pot.

How large are your leaves? My U. reniformis rarely exceed ~5cm diameter. Established pots of U. reniformis 'Big Sister' / larger form of U. reniformis / U. cornigera are almost always larger than 5cm - usually by a lot.

The largest leaf I have is around 11cm.

Interesting that the author & Fernando visited the same places, inspected the exact same plants & come to polar opposite conclusions.

Possibly as with many "cultivars" and I use the term very loosely, it could depend how desperate one is to get one's name associated with a plant.

Here you go Nat

18962792049_1a8a16086e_o.jpg

Thanks, Fred! Missed this before, I like the unedited photo much better. How cold does your greenhouse get in the winter?

Ambient temperature, I have vents open all winter. The last couple of winters have been fairly mild, I think a low of about -8 C (17-18 F)

Last edited:
The soon to be cut down leaves of the Utricularia reniformis They don't like the cold but the growth in spring, after being cut down by the cold, is amazing.

23038153606_bf69295376_o.jpg

There are 5 x No7 squares

Short days, long nights and a few frosty nights and they don't look quite so verdant.

24211337259_a1576f2e73_o.jpg

That huge thing is a bladderwort? I suddenly need one.

Back