What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia bisquamata

This is the species Utricularia bisquamata, it should have the distinction of the epithet "The Thug". Although looking like a little cutie and I mean tiny, it is only that if it's kept confined to its own pot by regular dead heading before any seed is produced. Just don't turn your back for too long or it will be in every pot that has the slightest amount of sphagnum or peat in it.

27384563021_8206289e31_o.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo! I had a small specimen but it died on me.

'Betty's Bay' gets "betterer and betterer"

27655394151_41840e9dc2_o.jpg

Looking great! I'm trying to revive my 'Betty's Bay' right now after it languishing for a while and me finally discovering that it does not like waterlogged soil.

I need to transfer a few plugs from my Utricularia into the Darlingtonia trays. They do seem to be much happier in there.

Would you say that this is true for all bisquamata? I have a small pot that hasn't done much of anything in a while. I'll have to try it a bit dryer.

I couldn't say, the only other utric I've kept in such a small pot is U. sandersonii and it's perfectly happy colonizing the water tray.

I don't think a comment is necessary :-O

27922691516_b0b24354b6_o.jpg

Thats beautiful. What kind of conditions do you keep your's in to get nice flushes of flowers like that?

That clump is in the D. 'Othello' tray so it's 100% live Sphagnum in a shallow tray that is flooded regularly. The same will also happen(for me) if it was in any other Sarracenia/Drosera mix and watered on the tray system (Been there, done that). The pots/trays are in sun.

I think my 'Betty's Bay' is just about dead. Has never done well for me, unfortunately.

Does anyone think it's looking better?

27602376514_876d665616_o.jpg

Last edited:
That's absolutely impressive. How much seed do you get from a crop of flowers like that? Would it be enough to spread to the rest of the tray?

'Nice flowers, Fred. 'Makes me think that my 'Betty's Bay' might be happier in a larger pot with something rather than by itself in such a small space.

It's not a short flowering season on this one :-O

27903649073_68d4a715e5_o.jpg

Back