What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mixed terrestrial Utricularia in a single container?

Does anybody grow multiple species of terrestrial Utricularia in a single container, intentionally or unintentionally? I'm not tied to the one species per pot paradigm. I'm envisioning something with mixed flowerscapes, but don't know if that's possible. Would one of them eventually outcompete the others over time? I'd be particularly worried about one of the super weeds like U. bisquamata. Naturally, they would need to be species with similar light/water/temperature needs. What would you recommend, or what do you have in your mixed pots? If you have pictures, I'd love to see them.

It often happens unintentionally thanks to mentioned weedy species, but as long as you have no intention of trading the plants in the future (most people like to keep things separate and know exactly what they're getting) there's no reason not to mix a few things with similar requirements.

Thank you hcarlton. Good point about future trading.

I grow all of my terrestrial Utricularia except bisquamata in mixed containers. It is pretty easy for me to tell them apart by looking at the stolons, and I haven't had any problems trading them with others (but I don't . I like to give my plants room to grow, which is more than a pot can provide for me. I will post some pictures later.

Tanukimo, I would be really hesitant in the mixed containers and trading I'm afraid; both of the plants I traded with you for had subulata in them and the "fulva" turned out to be the biloba instead; I'm hoping the other one is the fulva, but the leaves look near-identical...

Utricularia pubescens
AG1uqvP.jpg

Utricularia biloba
WTS7BS6.jpg

Utricularia aff. lasiocaulis
CXmIKkF.jpg

Utricularia welwitschii
VBMupV9.jpg

Utricularia uliginosa
aTMmXJ2.jpg

Utricularia cornuta (grows with petiolaris complex Drosera)
HGkbAT9.jpg

Utricularia warburgii (Utricularia trichophylla at upper left)
2UlYd83.jpg

Utricularia tridentata
hVYLFnu.jpg

You get the idea. And Hcarlton, if you don't think I gave you Utricularia fulva I will give you some next time we trade, assuming we do. I have had it flower and you can see the long stolons in the pictures above.

Also, this is the way I grow almost all of my plants. I have fewer than 10 plants in individual pots.

Last edited:
Tanukimo, thanks for sharing.. Good to see that so many Utricularia can live happily together. I like seeing them growing in the same pot with other CP.

Back