What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed shrimp: food for Utricularia

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using seed shrimp as food. Seed shrimp are vernal pool crustaceans with over lapping generations. They can be found in long lasting puddles and can beed in large quantities if given the right conditions, I fin. They are a bit larger than daphnia other wise known as water fleas but they also come in different sizes in different stages of it's life. I have a large number of them and I can harvest some cyst if any one wants to try it, I've never tried using them but with the new Utricularia I have coming in I will no doubt try to feed it to them. I have photos of them but I don't know how to post them in this forum so if anyone can give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

The seed shrimp I had were quite small, but maybe yours are bigger. I don't see why it wouldn't work as utric food! What did you get?
Links to images can be put between

The seed shrimp I have are great Aldrovanda fodder; you shouldn't have any problems with ostracods and Utricularia and they're pretty fun to watch buzzing around, too.

I'm planing on using them for emergent Utricularia like humboldtii and reniformis and other Utricularia who has their stolen and bladders in the water and yes I must admit seed shrimp are fun to watch, like a lava lamp.

Back