What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia subulata - Carnivorous Flower Stalks?

• Thread starter NemJones
  • Start date

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
About a week ago, I discovered an unidentified utric growing in one of my vacant moss pots,
seeming to appear overnight. I have had this pot for months, but 2 shoots mysteriously
poke out of the soil, prompting investigation.

2BpK95Ah.jpg

UWsOsQZh.jpg

Seed pods?
bvuAVldh.jpg

After waiting for about a week for the blooms to finally pop,
Im almost certain this is Utricularia Subulata.

RIyb80Fh.jpg

BiXcm2Gh.jpg

And now, After waiting a week for said flowers to bloom, I discover that
they last only a day. I found the flower caught in what I thought was water
droplets on the stem. (I should have taken pictures, but removed the flower for drying.)

Bloom Spikes, Current day

v0zPTQAh.jpg

However, I also found a fungus gnat caught in the same droplet of wet that the flower pedals had stuck to after dropping.
I originally thought that the fungus gnat had accidentally gotten caught in a water droplet and drowned on the stalk from earlier watering and humidifying.
However after looking closer, the substance is EXTREMELY sticky. Far stickier than water, and seemingly even more sticky than a sundew.

EiMsdCWh.jpg

Secondary Node coated in Extremely sticky dew

FF3T0W7h.jpg

Another section of flower stalk with Dew beads

LxFilG6h.jpg

This is not water.

NNWTR6Nh.jpg

Definitely not water.
LjUkGJUh.jpg

Very, Positively, Definitely not water.

yuPDIlAh.jpg

Has anybody noticed this before?
Are these glands of some sort, do they serve any purpose, and are the flower stalks of these plants carnivorous?
New to utrics, and dont really know much about them.

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading about glue on subulata flower stalks before, I believe that the consensus is that it's a defense against insects that would climb up and eat the flower, but not sure, cheers for sharing

Mark

I saw a picture of this just a day or two ago actually. Its apparently a reasonably well-known occurrence with Utricularia though I don't know if it's purely defensive or actually carnivorous.

There is a ICPS article about the function of U subulata's dew I think. You're lucky to get actual flowers. All I ever seem to get out of the plant are those cleistogamous seed pods.

There is a ICPS article about the function of U subulata's dew I think. You're lucky to get actual flowers. All I ever seem to get out of the plant are those cleistogamous seed pods.

Lol So I guess now the question to ask is Should I quarantine the pot before they pop and nuke the rest of my growing chamber

Last edited:
Remove all seedpods before they ripen to avoid contamination.

That was essentially what I was going to write!

U. subulata is the dandelion of the CP world- pretty flowers, hardy, prolific, and too successful for its own good!

Utricularia can also spread via the drain holes on the pots. So if you have pots in a common water tray snipping off the flowers may not be enough to contain spreading.

Nice "photo" story.

BTW: It looks to me your moss is rather dry. If you intend on growing live moss you probably should increase your watering.

Back