What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New utricularia warburgii!

• Thread starter Turtlekit
  • Start date
28f846e5d13e86ea5f1cbe2f678a4605.jpg

This little guy came in the mail today! No flowers right now, but hopefully it will flower sometime soon! Currently it is sitting on my dresser where it gets plenty of sun during the day, because the nights here are too cold for it at this time of year. Is it necessary to buy water fleas to pour over it for food, or will it be alright without them?

There should be no need to feed the plant. There are always things in the soil for Utricularia to eat.

Edit: Nevermind about the image not working.

Last edited:
Looks very nice. Your media will grow plenty of its own organisms to feed your plant. I've found that the utricularia I've got like to spread and fill the pot a little before they start flowering. Given how fast they grow this isn't a very long wait.

U. warburgii is a seasonal plant that needs some particular cues to bloom; it likes to be flooded at certain times of the year (like early summer) and needs relatively cool winters.

Thank you, it is good to know that the soil will have adequate food for them!!

Thanks!! I'm very excited for this one, I can't wait to watch it grow!! Having to wait a bit for it to flower will just make it more exciting, I suppose ^_^

Alright, thank you! About how cool should it be for the winter? The grower I purchased from recommended keeping it in 60-100 degree temperatures, but we do have colder nights outside at this time of year (down to 40) so if it does better with colder winters then I can move it out there.

I wouldn't go overboard with giving cold temperatures to the plant. While it is true that some Utricularia require low temperatures in the winter to flower, if the plant freezes or gets too cold it might die. I wouldn't take my chances putting it outside. Personally I keep all my terrestrial Utricularia indoors in a fairly stable environment and most of them still flower without a problem. Once the plant spreads you could try experimenting with different growing conditions but I would play it safe for now and leave it indoors.

Alright, will do! I think you're right that it is definitely better to be careful to keep it alive, even if it doesn't flower. We do not get temperatures below freezing here more than once or twice a year but it does get cold at night.

Last edited:
Back