What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia Help please!

Hello all! I bout some U. Warburgii form an online vender and it came in vary nice. I put it in my indoor greenhouse and within a few weeks all the leaves fell off. I had it in 50/50 peat,perlite. After the leaf die of I transplanted it to strate LFS asd moved it to a east facing window. Im hoping it will come back but its been like a month and a half now and I'v seen no growth.

I don't think there is anything alive if it hasn't grown anything for that long. I've had this happen to me when I tried growing warburgii on a windowsill and kept it too dry. The leaves turned white and the plant died. I grow it under lights now. A windowsill should work though; I grow some of my terrestrials on one.

I don't think there is anything alive if it hasn't grown anything for that long. I've had this happen to me when I tried growing warburgii on a windowsill and kept it too dry. The leaves turned white and the plant died. I grow it under lights now. A windowsill should work though; I grow some of my terrestrials on one.

Thanks for the reply. How can I tell if it's dead or not and I thought WARBURGII was terrestrial?

Warburgii is a terrestrial species but in general, utricularia grow much wetter than other terrestrial plants. The water table is often at or just under the soil surface.

Well, I'd argue that having the water table at or just under soil level is actually rather variable depending on the mixture, the species, and whether or not the plant is recovering at the moment.
U. warburgii will survive just fine as long as the water (and air humidity) is high enough for it to not get dried out. In my experience it does seem to like being flooded now and then, and will grow faster when wet but being a -little- drier shouldn't kill it by any means.

As for how you can tell if it's dead, it's quite hard unless you want to wash away the soil and look for live stolons - but that is definitely not good for any growth in there that is still alive.

Last edited:
I keep it quite wet. should I move it back to the greenhouse? The humidity is much higher in ther than my room.

I doubt it is still alive if nothing has grown for a month and a half. You would have probably have better luck starting with another division.

Back