What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Purple U.livida flower???

I was recently doing some cleaning in my collection and came across this flower in my U.livida pot. A strange colored flower. Went up the stalk and an immature flower was emerging with the same color characteristics. My question is has anyone seen this variation? Or do I have something special?

c3ee416529239b7d4e3820c17f9477f8.jpg

3ee0122e967ab5024b7b92008e14d9c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen it before but it might just be a one-off thing. Is this the first time you've seen this with the plant?

First time I see it in the plant. As you can see on the blurred pic it is surrounded by typical U.livida flowers.

I would wait until it is fully open to make any sort of discernment; as the flower expands it will lighten in color, and as there are a LOT of purple utrics, if it's something else you want to see the full flower before trying to identify.
However, I can say already it's not livida; you have the dark color extending all the way up the lower lip to where the two lips meet at the throat, and there's a yellow spot right at the top of the palate instead of halfway down the lower lip like livida tends to have.

The lower flower (first pic)I believe is almost fully open. I will wait for the top one to open also. Hcarlton if not U.livida do you have an idea what it could be??

As I said before: many if not the majority of Utricularia have purple flowers of some degree or other, so a fully open bloom is necessary for ID from what has been thus far provided.

Definitely interesting, post another picture when possible please

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Will try to take some better pics tomorrow.

Here are some pics as promised (hopefully better ones)
fee62aac8b7e1eaabc96a79b4a34b9aa.jpg

bd17a4e8084e38f1bf118af6d02c487d.jpg

I have reached out to Nicole Rebbert from a german website that concentrates on Utricularia. I really thank her for answering my email. She states that there is a form of U.Livida that has very dark violet colors. But she has not seen it in cultivation and specially this dark almost purple. She also asked me since the flower was very unique to go ahead and carefully remove the stalk taking care that some solons are still left attached on the stalk and place it in similar growing conditions (with higher humidity) to see if the plant replicates. Did just that. Finger crossed.

Interesting, indeed! Only unfortunate thing is it does not look like the flower on yours wants to open more.

Wishing you luck with the propagation.

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

It actually looks similar to how my U. biloba looks when unfurling (or dichotoma when in good light and turning its darker colors) but neither still ever starts out that dark. I would bet it might be something from that group of plants (subgenus Polypompholyx), but there are several other groups that might fit too.

Back