What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia blanchetii

• Thread starter naoki
  • Start date
Utricularia blanchetii is a Brazillian terrestrial Utricularia with a limited genographic distribution (central Bahia). It seems to be ok with fairly low light (phototynthetic photon flux density, PPFD, of about 150 µmol/m^2/s). Here is the link to my Orchid Borealis blog post with a bit more info.

It is interesting one of Japanese books mentions that the flower has the fragrance similar to Vanilla, but my plant doesn't have any. Does it usually have the fragrance?

Utricularia blanchetii on Flickr

I've never noticed any fragrance from my blanchetii flowers. This species was one of my first terrestrial Utricularia after I came back to the hobby so it is dear to my heart, especially since it was the first to flower too.

Lovely flower and some very nice closeup shots! How small are the flowers?

What are those white rings on the flower stalks?

Very pretty. Is it a year round bloomer or seasonal?

Very nicely photographed!

I have never noticed a scent with my plants - but I missed the scent of Pinguicula 'Titan' for years before someone pointed it out to me. Having said that I am guessing that you and I have the same form of U. blanchetii. It is such a pleasing plant when it is in bloom.

Last edited:
I've never noticed any fragrance from my blanchetii flowers. This species was one of my first terrestrial Utricularia after I came back to the hobby so it is dear to my heart, especially since it was the first to flower too.

Yes, this species seems to be so floriferous!

How small are the flowers?

The lower lip (petal) is about 8mm. But Taylor's book said that it is supposed to be 1-1.5cm. So mine is at the small end for this species. The inflorescence is about 15-20cm tall.

What are those white rings on the flower stalks?

I keep this in the same grow tent as my orchids. I had to use Sevin to control bush snails on orchids, and it is the residue from it. I think when I tank-mixed Sevin, Physan-20, and Neem Oil, it made the residue which doesn't easily come off. Sevin by itself can be washed off, though.

Is it a year round bloomer or seasonal?

I've had this only for 1 year, but under my condition, it seems to be always in flower. One Japanese book says that they stop flowering in the summer when it is too hot, but my grow tent is always less than 86F.

I have never noticed a scent with my plants - but I missed the scent of Pinguicula 'Titan' for years before someone pointed it out to me. Having said that I am guessing that you and I have the same form of U. blanchetii. It is such a pleasing plant when it is in bloom.

Interesting that no scent in both Tanukimo's and yours. Maybe it is an error in the Japanese book. Mine is from Johnny Myob.

Back