What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizing Utricularia quelchii

• Thread starter schmiggle
  • Start date
I have a U. quelchii that's chugging away in a highland terrarium, and I'm wondering if I should fertilize it and, if so, how much/at what concentration. It's growing in live sphagnum moss with some perlite added to make the substrate a little lighter. At first I fertilized with orchid fertilizer at 50ppm N once every few days. On the one hand, its new leaves grew faster; on the other, it dropped both the leaves it arrived with and a leaf it had grown somewhat larger under my care. I stopped fertilizing, but now it grows far more slowly--which makes sense--but so slowly that I'm wondering if I should fertilize again. Is it likely that the fertilizer made the plant drop the leaves, or is something else likely to have been the culprit? I don't think it's temperature or humidity, since this plant is growing next to happy highland Heliamphora (such nice alliteration). I know U. quelchii often takes a while to settle in and tends to grow slowly in many situations for years, but given how fast it was growing before I wonder if I should change something. I could also dilute the fertilizer I use even further, although it's already pretty dilute (50ppm is 1/4 strength), or I could fertilize less often. I will note that the sphagnum growing in that pot and the other ones I fertilize grows incredibly fast relative to unfertilized pots (I assume that it's still going through leftover nitrogen at this point).

I think every few days is too much, I'd try less often. Once a month is more like it, if that goes well, maybe try every other week.

I think every few days is too much, I'd try less often. Once a month is more like it, if that goes well, maybe try every other week.
That makes sense. Another idea I had was to introduce a culture of appropriate sized animals, like springtails. Is that a better alternative to fertilizing, or unnecessary and/or a hassle?

That makes sense. Another idea I had was to introduce a culture of appropriate sized animals, like springtails. Is that a better alternative to fertilizing, or unnecessary and/or a hassle?

There are probably springtails already present in the Sphag, those things get everywhere. Is it better to use creepy crawlies or fertilizer? Eh, too each his own. I hate to be so cavalier, but as long as your careful, it really comes down to whichever you prefer.

Back