What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia Gibba within Jar

• Thread starter nuck
  • Start date
Hey guys, I continuously update my post, so feel free to check in from time to time. I have made multiple updates since the posting of this thread. You can also leave feedback here, I check the forums weekly. :)

For whatever reason I can't link any photos or attach them through file, but fortunately I have created another thread which contains pictures and a video. Basically I have created an ecosystem that contains Utricularia G. and a colony of Ostrocods, Annelids, Malaysian Trumpet snails, Ramshorn snails, a Cyclops, and a Ghost Shrimp sp.

https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/utriculara-in-a-jar-t37076.html

In time I may relocate the ghost shrimp when Notonectidae (backswimmers/backstriders) come during the monsoon season, and capture a few to observe for a bit. I might feed extras to my nepenthes, I used to feed them to my passed Ventrata as a annual snack years ago.

Last edited:
For whatever reason I can't link any photos or attach them through file, but fortunately I have created another thread which contains pictures and a video. Basically I have created an ecosystem that contains Utricularia G. and a colony of Ostrocods, Annelids, Malaysian Trumpet snails, Ramshorn snails, a Cyclops, and a Ghost Shrimp sp.

https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/utriculara-in-a-jar-t37076.html

In time I may relocate the ghost shrimp when Notonectidae (backswimmers/backstriders) come during the monsoon season, and capture a few to observe for a bit. I might feed extras to my nepenthes, I used to feed them to my passed Ventrata as a annual snack years ago.

I'm interested in trying something like this myself with U radiata maybe. I haven't found a lot of info on aquatic Utrics yet though.

I'm interested in trying something like this myself with U radiata maybe. I haven't found a lot of info on aquatic Utrics yet though.

Yeah they're a little touch and go like any other cp. My recommendations would be to use a larger jar if possible, like a 2.5g but depending on what you want it may vary. I don't know too much about Radiata, but if you get large portions of it, send some my way :boogie: . Definitely mix aquarium water in with de-chlorinated distilled water if you actually plan on incorporating live organisms with the Gibba, but I would recommend keeping your gibba in a separate jar until your biosphere is fully established.

This may or may not give too much help depending on how similar Radiata is, but it will at least give you some insight into aquatic utricularia care & flowering: http://www.sarracenia.com/pubs/focus5.html

Last edited:
*bump*

Hey guys, I continuously update my post, so feel free to check in from time to time. I have made multiple updates since the posting of this thread. Feel free to also leave feedback on this thread, I check on here weekly. :)

I hate that I have to do this, as I'd love to update on here, but posting pictures on here is a hassle for me for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back