What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Aldrovanda Attempt

• Thread starter hcarlton
  • Start date
About two weeks ago, I received this dinky little thing...
A. vesiculosa by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I expected my conditions to rapidly kill it, being the tank I have it in hasn't been supporting even U. gibba very well until just recently (that species grows better in a half-dry tray on a shelf in the greenhouse for reasons unknown). Instead, two weeks later we have this:
Aldrovanda vesiculosa by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Tripled in length, traps have returned and are huge compared to the plant, and it seems more than happy just doing it's thing! We'll see how long this lasts.

Looks great so far.

I rebooted a new strand not much bigger than what you started out with in my jar of Utricularia gibba. The first strand I started in October vanished sometime in the winter. The problem mainly is algae overgrowth. I just started a Daphnia culture which hopefully will control the algae as well as provide food for the Aldrovanda and U. gibba.

Good luck and wish me luck :D

Good luck to both of you!! :-D

I've have good fortune with Aldrovanda vesiculosa when there is a source of infusoria from other plants such as Sedge, floating plants, lots of sun light, etc.

Likes rather still water. This is the first year I will try to overwinter some in the whiskey pond here in AZ. So far Aldrovanda vesiculosa and Ultricularia vulgaris are doing well.

This plant will capture your prized baby shrimp. Moina, Ceriodaphnia, Streptocephalus, Daphnia, and Neocaridina are all great sources of food.

I've have good fortune with Aldrovanda vesiculosa when there is a source of infusoria from other plants such as Sedge, floating plants, lots of sun light, etc.

Likes rather still water. This is the first year I will try to overwinter some in the whiskey pond here in AZ. So far Aldrovanda vesiculosa and Ultricularia vulgaris are doing well.

This plant will capture your prized baby shrimp. Moina, Ceriodaphnia, Streptocephalus, Daphnia, and Neocaridina are all great sources of food.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9...yVHGPPJvc4s2tOeYJLKDUMA5KVHiY_UH=w800-h600-no

Algae did it in - again :-(

Mine is still alive, but algae in the previous tank I think was becoming a problem...and I need to find a Daphnia source to inoculate the container with.

Mine is still alive, but algae in the previous tank I think was becoming a problem...and I need to find a Daphnia source to inoculate the container with.

Any photos for the update?

No. I don't take photos unless it's to document something specific I intend to observe or the plants look photograph-worthy. The waterwheel does not currently.

Back