What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitchhiker in my U. quelchii pot?

• Thread starter madrone
  • Start date
I purchased a U. quelchii plug last fall and waited with bated breath to see how it would fare as I'm an orchidioides newbie. This spring I was tickled to see the two-leaf plug push three new leaves. As I was admiring the new growth, I noticed two tiny (I mean TINY - like 1/4") spring-green leaves growing close to the media surface.

41940516374_d36d601c4f.jpg

Does U. quelchii have different leaf forms, or is this more likely a hitchhiker? And if it's the latter, any chance it is another utric? I realize there may be no way of knowing until it does something more interesting, but I've been flipping through pics, and hoping it's something exciting. :-))

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that there are two leaf types, one large and one small, but I don't think the difference was this large. It definitely looks like some kind of utricularia--maybe you'll get lucky :) I guess it's more likely to be a random weedy variety, though.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that there are two leaf types, one large and one small, but I don't think the difference was this large.

Interesting, I hadn't found anything on two leaf types...but good to know that's a possibility.

It definitely looks like some kind of utricularia--maybe you'll get lucky :) I guess it's more likely to be a random weedy variety, though.

Getting sought-after plants as hitchhikers doesn't really feel too likely, so "weedy variety", is probably spot on. But, there was one leaf a couple months ago, and now two...so maybe it's biding its time before it takes over.

those are newly developing quelchii leaves. removing them will leave you with painful regret.

those are newly developing quelchii leaves. removing them will leave you with painful regret.

Thank you - duly noted. I was too curious to remove anything at this point! Since receiving feedback on this thread, I had done a little "different leaf forms quelchii" type searches, and have found web write-ups on U. humboldtii having "aerial" and "aquatic" leaf forms. I appreciate the personal growing experiences and perspectives specific to U. quelchii.

Back