User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hitchhiker in my U. quelchii pot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitchhiker in my U. quelchii pot?

I purchased a U. quelchii plug last fall and waited with bated breath to see how it would fare as I'm an orchidioides newbie. This spring I was tickled to see the two-leaf plug push three new leaves. As I was admiring the new growth, I noticed two tiny (I mean TINY - like 1/4") spring-green leaves growing close to the media surface.

Does U. quelchii have different leaf forms, or is this more likely a hitchhiker? And if it's the latter, any chance it is another utric? I realize there may be no way of knowing until it does something more interesting, but I've been flipping through pics, and hoping it's something exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember seeing somewhere that there are two leaf types, one large and one small, but I don't think the difference was this large. It definitely looks like some kind of utricularia--maybe you'll get lucky I guess it's more likely to be a random weedy variety, though.
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schmiggle View Post
    I seem to remember seeing somewhere that there are two leaf types, one large and one small, but I don't think the difference was this large.
    Interesting, I hadn't found anything on two leaf types...but good to know that's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by schmiggle View Post
    It definitely looks like some kind of utricularia--maybe you'll get lucky I guess it's more likely to be a random weedy variety, though.
    Getting sought-after plants as hitchhikers doesn't really feel too likely, so "weedy variety", is probably spot on. But, there was one leaf a couple months ago, and now two...so maybe it's biding its time before it takes over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those are newly developing quelchii leaves. removing them will leave you with painful regret.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    those are newly developing quelchii leaves. removing them will leave you with painful regret.
    Thank you - duly noted. I was too curious to remove anything at this point! Since receiving feedback on this thread, I had done a little "different leaf forms quelchii" type searches, and have found web write-ups on U. humboldtii having "aerial" and "aquatic" leaf forms. I appreciate the personal growing experiences and perspectives specific to U. quelchii.