What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia alpina from seed

• Thread starter madrone
  • Start date
This summer I have been super excited to see my first U. alpina flowers in person. My plant put out three spikes with lovely 2.5-3" flowers. After opening in sequence, the last to open, was the first to drop.

42816666845_070bdecb3d.jpg

See, that empty flower to the back of the photo above. Well, upon closer inspection today, it appears that the flower finished early because it was pollinated!

41911437970_a9e787b8c0.jpg

I didn't attempt pollination, so this was an interesting development. Maybe U. alpina self-pollinates easily?

Can any one share any info on seedpod development (how long does it take? size of the seeds?) and the likelihood of being able to grow these from seed?

While I haven't produced seeds before, I have germinated some. They're small like typical CP seeds but if I remember right brown rather than the usual black. No special techniques, just sow on appropriate medium and wait a month or so. I have found the species to grow exceedingly slowly from seed though.

I have found the species to grow exceedingly slowly from seed though.

Ok, good to know. I might try a mini germination myself, but I'm feeling inclined to offer up some seed to folks with extra grow space and patience. Two things that I only have in moderation. I think the seed might be ready, so I'll go try and collect some today...

Very cool, good luck!

Back