What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia campbelliana--cultivation in moss

• Thread starter schmiggle
  • Start date
I had an idea a while back, and I was wondering if it makes any sense and if anyone has tried anything like it.

Utricularia campbelliana seems to do best for many people when it's either mounted or in a pot with holes. However, I've seen a couple of pots where it sort of looks like there's a mound of moss sitting on top that the utricularia is growing into. I have some live non-sphagnum moss sitting around--it's been collected over time from a Drosera filiformis pot. Would it make sense to fill a pot with something to hold water and for drainage (sphagnum-perlite-bark, based on what I have lying around), and then to stack up a bunch of moss on top of it?

My reasoning is as follows. It seems like Utricularia campbelliana likes growing with a lot of air--that explains why it does well mounted and in pots with holes. It also usually grows in a layer of mosses in the wild, although I admit it doesn't have much choice in an environment as damp as a tepui's peak. And it may like to have a moisture gradient, since many people do well by mounting it on something porous and sticking one end of the mount in water. Finally, by growing it in non-sphagnum, I will be able to make sure that it isn't constantly wet.

I got the idea from here. While this person didn't purposefully grow the moss, there's no question the utricularia does well with it there; whether it has an effect is debatable.

What do you think? Does planting into a stack of moss make sense? If not, I'm thinking I'll use a pot with holes (i.e. a cup that I poke a whole bunch of holes into) and the substrate I listed above, and maybe put some of the moss on the top.

Back