What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My experience growing U. jamesoniana

I thought that, now that my U. jamesoniana has flowered a few times, that I'd share my growing methods.

I grow it in a small, 2 inch net pot filled with dead LFS moss. The pot sits in an aquarium on top of dead LFS moss and is surrounded by live LFS. I water by filling up the bottom of the aquarium with water to the level of the bottom of the pot. The live LFS moss helps keep humidity high and U. jamesoniana seems to like to send runners out into it. I don't grow it directly in the live moss however because the moss will overtake it.

For lighting I have an LED light bar with red and white lights. Because it's LED, the temps stay fairly cool. Below are some pictures of my setup as well as some of my U. jamesoniana in flower.

My mother plant tends to send out long runners into the LFS moss, so propagation is simple for this species. I simply clip off a runner (ideally with one leaf at the base) and place it in another net pot and cover it with a thin layer of dead LFS moss.

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

Who else grows this plant? How do you grow it?

I've been growing mine for a little while now and noticed a flower stalk coming up last week. I'd say its pretty simple. I also grow under LED's but mine is in a small deli cup about an inch tall. I should grab some of the stolons its throwing off to make a new pot.

Awesome, the flowers are beautiful. I might try mounting mine on some cork bark and seeing how well it grows that way.

Also, I want to try and do some crosses since my U. nephrophylla and U. asplundii are flowering at the same time. Never tried growing utrics from seed so it should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back