What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Isopods for food

• Thread starter ShoalCreek
  • Start date
Hi-

A two part question.

I have dwarf tropical white isopods that I seed my dart frog vivariums when I rework the enclosures. I have a few Utricularia in LFS, such as cornigera. I've dropped some of these isopods over the moss, in hopes the traps would eat some of them.

Anyone tried this?

Also, I have some Aldrovandra coming. In the one time I tried it - I failed miserably on the Daphnia culture. I think I overfed and killed them. Reading says that cultures will inexplicably fail, best to keep 2 cultures. Any better solutions than Daphnia for Utrics and Aldrovandra?

I have maintained the same culture of white isopods for ~7 years .

'Maybe' the isopods might work for Utrics if they can trap inside the moss, but maybe not so much for the Aldrovandra unless the isopods can swim for a limited time.

I am going to start some plants in a tub to start working on some tiny creatures, and perhaps even work on some mosquito larvae in a month or so. But....looking for an easy solution this way too with isopods... if it will work.

Best regards, Lisa

Back