What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Utric is best?

I'm working on a terrarium where the bottom portion of a 20 G tank is aquatic. I'd like to grow some aquatic utric's but am unsure of which to get. Ideally, I'd like one that doesn't grow too rapidly and doesn't require too large of a space to grow (I don't want it to outgrow the other CP's).

Any suggestions?
confused.gif

U. gibba is small and very easy. It doesn't go dormant either.
That's what I'd try first, it should be fairly easy to get hold of too.

Vic

Gibba sounds like a good subject. A caution though: I tried this method once, and the algae problems quickly overcame the culture. You may want to consider a secondary container in the tank bottom in case draining of the water becomes a necessity, as it probably will. Keep us informed of your results!

Tamlin,

Thanks for the algae warning. Didn't even think of that. I had plans for a circulating mini-waterfall effect to prevent water from standing still all the time (probably on a timer). Hopefully, this will help deter any algae from building up.

Would the Utricularia Purpurea (I think that's what it is - the one with the purple flower) also be ok to for this environment?

Thanks again

Purpurea prefers deeper water, but these plants are all very adaptable as regards their vegetative growth. Flowering and dormancy issues will probably present difficulties though.

It doesn't sound like the water will be very deep. Why not try an affixed subaquatic like U. cornuta, or U. bifida? I don't have much of a problem with algae with these ones.

Subaquatic? that's another option.

I did a little research on algae and found out that algae often piggy back on other fish and plants (and shared equipment). It'll begin to grow if there is an imbalance of nutrients in the water or if there's too much light. Basically, you have to keep your environment near perfect. And you can take some other preventative measures like, keep the water moving with lots of oxygen, keep away from direct sunlight, change the water frequently, introduce algae eating critters (snails & fish), etc. I'm looking into all right now to see what's feasible with my budget. Who knows, maybe all I have to do is keep the water moving.
biggrin.gif

resupinata has purple flowers too. Very different aswell...

What I did for an aldrovanda plant was I stuck a bubbler stone int he water, but pinched the air hose so that it was just small amount of bubbles coming up, as not to disturb the water too much... You could try that if u don't want a waterfall... Gibba is a subafixed too, isnt it?

When i saw the U. purpurea in the wild, it didnt seem that they need too deep water... They could grew in deep water, but on the hole, most flower stalks were around three to five inches tall... and the flowers sat just on, or above the surface... Ideally purpurea likes about five or six inches i'm guessing... Then again... It was the wild, so it does wut it wants, or dies..

One thing that I'd definately do before introducing any aquatic CP to a tank is give the water at least a month, preferably longer, for the water chemistry to settle down and conditions to stabilise. That way if algae is a serious problem you won't lose your plant, and you can try changing the conditions until you get it right.

Almost all failures with aquatic Utrics and Aldrovanda are as a result of growers getting the plant at the same time, or shortly after they set up the aquarium. I lost several plants this way when I first started out growing CPs, but if you get the conditions right and well established first you are far more likely to have success.

Be patient

Vic

Parasuco, Vic Brown,

Thanks for the tips...

I bought a pump which will help with my cascade/waterfall effect and I'm hoping that it won't be too strong. Otherwise, I might have to do something to inhibit the suction. This should keep the water moving (it also oxygenates if I set it correctly). But I will be setting it up and making sure that it operates correctly before introducing a Utric (which would take about a month or more). Either way, it's difficult to find a Utric up here in Toronto. I've asked around but most CP's are hard to find here.

Thanks again for all the help
wink.gif

Actually, no!

My searches on the internet did not lead to this site.
Thanks for the tip... and they're near Montreal. I drive into Quebec pretty frequently.

Thanks again.
smile.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, Chris runs the buisness from her appt, so I'm not sure its a visity place, but its possible that if you ask nicely, she might wanna show u something... You can order from her by mail order, and her prices are CHEAP, especially for a utric!! Here is another place to order from, they sorta 'specialize' in a different area of CPs... more into the pings and dews, no utrics... They're in montreal as well...

Hey, I have relatives in montreal... I never really noted the whole 'maybe they're near eachother' thing... Hmm.

Parasuco

I figured that if I was driving by, we could arrange to meet somewhere public rather than drop by their house. But anyways...
There is one place out in Niagara Falls which is where all of my CP's have originated from, Colasanti Farms Ltd. Currently, they only have Sarra's, VFT's, and Asian Nep's but they'll have Sundews next year (don't know if I can wait...). As for the other's (Utrics and Pings) the manager said that he would consider them.
biggrin.gif

Awsum, where in Niagara is this place? I know of Niagara Exotics, run by Carl Mazure... Hes got mostly sarrs, some sundews, vfts, and I think a few pings, but not on his site...

Does this one you speak of have an email address or a website?

Here is Niagara Exotics - www.niagaraexotics.com

He sells mostly seed, but he tries to put some plants on his website... You could get more if u visited him, but like the others, its run thru their home...

Correction,

Colasanti Farms is located near Windsor (close to Detroit) not Niagara Falls. They distribute CP's to Home Depot and Dominions (grocery store)... at least that's where I purchased their plants.

Their website is www.colasanti.com

This place is actually a family tourist attraction.
tounge.gif

hehe! I saw the pics... so thats where my VFT came from! LOL!!!

Back