What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[i]genlisea violacea[/i] 'giant' flower

Hi All,

I've been growing this plant for a looong time, and have given/traded away numerous offspring (through leaf cuttings). Most of the recipents had their plants flower within a few months... my mother plant continued to sit there unfloweringly.

That was, until a few weeks ago, when a scape started to emerge:

genlisea.jpg

And here is the flower
biggrin.gif

genliseaflower.jpg

-noah

ohh wow, noah! Beautiful plant and flower! let me know when yo have more offspring for trade.
biggrin.gif

-Spec
Oh, just curious, how do you grow it? I want one really bad, but i don't know how to grow them...
sad.gif

Now I am sad. My G. hispidula was going to flower but was eaten by some scale insects
sad.gif
. I am jealous.

Great photos!

smile.gif

Hi spec,

I'll take some cuttings. contact me sometime this summer.
smile.gif

I used to grow it in ~1/4" peat on top of a grid sitting on top of a jar of water, so that the traps were visible, as described in a cpn article I read once.

A few months ago I transfered the plants into pure sphagnum peat moss, where they have been growing since. The soil is kept wet-moist to soggy.

@nick -
confused.gif
I hope your hispidula recovers and sends up another flower stalk!

take care,

-noah

Nice pic. I've got blooms on lobata x violacea, violacea, hispidula and lobata. Tons of fun
smile.gif

For a weird growth factoid, I grow my plants in either LFS or peat:sand but recently I transfered a hispidula cutting into straight sand. This cutting has exploded in size and in under 3 months has reached the same size as the original parent plant
wow.gif
I am seeing if I can repeat this feat with a few other species

That sounds interesting! I think I will go try it on a violacea X lobata tonight to see how it goes. Keep us posted pyro. But back to the post... very nice pic!

Cole

Back