What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm wondering which Utricularia can be mounted and grown on a mossy log that has water trickling over it's surface constantly in my tropical vivarium. It can be a cooler temp/alpine species as my vivarium gets rather cool in the winter (down to 65*).

I really enjoy epiphytic plants but I do not wish to remove the mossy logs to allow for any drying rest periods. Does U. longifolia require a dry rest period?

The logs currently are being colonized by: Living sphagnum moss, Kyoto moss, unidentified moss, saginella sp., Riccia fluritans, Pinguliculia primulifolia and some unknown miniature ferns which showed up in a pot with one of my Nepenthes.

Thanks for any thoughts!

U. longifolia would probably work and you might be able to get away with U. reniformis and U. nephrophylla. U. calycifida could work (not sure about the sustained low temp) as might U. sandersonii.

I can't think of a reason why any commonly available utric wouldn't grow in that situation. I'd try sandersonii or livida siince they are almost always in flower and will colonize quickly.

Oh, The temps don't stay low, right now the vivarium is about 70* and by late august it may be 85* so I have a seasonal variance in this tank between 65* 85* but it always will stay humid in the 75%-100% range.

Thanks for the suggestions on species to try for this application!

Back