What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tricolor

Are you sure that's flowering tricolor, not some weed species that's got in. There is a picture of flowering tricolor on this link Utricularia

Giles

Well, I am concerned due to the flower size. The flower looks like the one in the picture, but lighter. The color is washed out in the picture. The whole roll came washed out from the printer.

It could be something else, but there are only tricolor leaves showing. I was attributing the size and lighter color to the fact that the scape is undersized and thin. A second like the first has come up and is forming a flower. A third also came up. It is much thicker than the two previous.

I should clarify. The flower is a Utric flower(orchid like). Whether or not there is another Utric in the mix I can not say.

After looking at the page you put up and looking at my Utrics I can say as a whole my utric flowers are not nearly as colorful as those in the pictures. Well, not only the Utrics, but the drosera as well. They all look the same, except the very small tricolor(?), but not nearly as much color. The plants themselves are colorful. Is there anything I should be doing to enhance the color of the flowers? Fertilizer?

As for the tricolor, the longer thicker scape, if it was a scape, has broken. It became very long, about 5 to 6 inches, tipped and bent on another plant. Should it have gotten so long? There was a bud on top, but I expect the top section, after the bend, to dry up. Also if this plant is not pure what do I label it?

I also have a plant I received as a longfolia that is about to flower. However, I now do not believe this plant to be a longifolia. The leaves have not gotten long and are so dark they are almost blueish. I will have to wait for the flower to attempt an identification.

How long are the leaves on your 'longifolia'? Mine only grow to 4" or 5". I also find the tricolor scapes grow rather long and slender (although not capillary thin like on some of the small terrestrials like lateriflora), so perhaps the flowers are tricolor. The way to see is to check whether the inflorescence is attached to the tricolor leaves, although you might not want to disturb it. Out of interest, how large are the tricolor leaves in your photo? Is it growing in a greenhouse or a terrarium?

Giles

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 10 2003,07:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mine is not flowering.  Scapes I got, flowers I don't got.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
i forgot to mention , i think my tricolor tried to flower onces too . my u. tricolor made 1 longscape like stolon or whatever , i thought it was a flower too , but the growth was so long , spindly and weak looking that i never thought it would , it also did'nt have a bud at the tip . i tried to pull it out but then i saw it was connected to the plant , is this a stlon or is it a deformed scape / i would of mentioned it earlier if i would looked at my plant more closly , but then again , i try to ignore this scape like growth because i never knew what it was .

I checked the Tricolor and the inflorescence is attached to the leave, but it still does not mean it is a pure form. I also noted that the leaves surrounding the flower have lost their nice hues and have gone to a pure green. Are the flower taxing on the plant? The tricolor leaves are not as large as I would like, but they are getting larger. The ones in the pictures are a little more than half an inch in size. It grows in a terrarium.

The longiflora leaves are not even an inch.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I checked the Tricolor and the inflorescence is attached to the leave, but it still does not mean it is a pure form.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What do you mean by a 'pure form'? Either it is tricolor or it isn't. I wouldn't have thought an inflorescence that small would take a great deal out of the plant.

It is just strange that the inflorescence and flowers are so small, compared to the length of the scapes my tricolors have grown in the past. The leaf colour could be related to light intensity, being greener and softer in less intense light.

Giles

I was not sure if tricolor could be crossed with anything else. I am rather new to Utrics. It is labeled tricolor and looks like all the pictures I have seen of a tricolor, but the flowers are much smaller than described.

The leaves all around the green ones are still colorful, but they are smaller as well. Maybe it has to do with their maturity or maybe it is time to change the bulbs. They have not been changed for six months.

Thanks Giles. You seem very familiar with Utrics.

The last time I mentioned that I thought my U. tricolor was about to flower, on this Forum, the flower aborted! So, I decided to keep quiet, whilst reading this thread over the last few days, until my flower opened. Worth the wait and frustration of a succession of aborted scapes throughout the summer. Does your flower look like this Copper? The scape is about 10 inches long.

Utricularia tricolor

tricolor1.jpg

tricolor2.jpg

Yipeee!

Vic

One of the scapes is very long, about 8" now.  Yes, the flower looks like that, but a little lighter in color and smaller than the inch it should be.  I have thicker scapes coming up now and hopeful for better flowers.  Putting the tricolor pot in deeper water seems to be what has improved its condition.

What type of camera are you using to get such a nice shot?

Taylor states that the corolla of U. tricolor is between 1 - 2.5cm long, so an inch is as big as they ever get. My flower is 1.5cm (just over half an inch).

All my digital photographs are taken with a Ricoh Caplio RR30, which can focus in macro mode to within 1cm of the subject. Its fully automatic, simply point and click, I didn't make any adjustments to the balance of these pictures (I often do), just cropped and reduced their size, them to get them to less than 50k, for easy viewing on the net.

Vic

Incredibly beautiful Vic!!! Congratulations to you as well for the momentous feat of flowering this species. I suppose now there will be hundreds of success stories regarding the flowering of U. tricolor, while I sit scratching my head..........

I am going to buy my husband a new digital camera for his upcoming birthday. That one might work nicely.

Back