What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Genlisea?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here grows genlisea. I would like to try my hands on these plants. What temperatures can genliseas tolerate? My aquarium averages 70 to 78F in the day and 55F at night in the winter. In the summer it averages temperatures in the mid 80's to mid 60's at night.

Would genliseas survive in these temperatures? Also, where can you acquire these plants?

Thanks, CP2K

Hi cp2k,

Yes, genliseas should do fine in those temps. I grow them in similar conditions. Speaking of which, I'll be bringing some to trade at the next lacps meeing if you are interested. Seeya there,

Noah

Thanks Noah, I'll definitly be interested. See you at the next lacps meeting:)

CP2k,

I grow them too. I sent you an email outlining all my cultivation conditions. Hope it helps.

Noah,

What species do you grow?

Pyro

Hi Pyro,

I grow g. violacae 'giant.' What specie (s) do you grow?

Noah

Noah,

violacea 'giant'
sp 'Itacambria Beauty'
hispidula
lobata

Pyro

(Edited by Pyro at 9
wow.gif
8 am on Mar. 10, 2002)

Pyro,
I got your email:)Thanks for the help on genliseas.

Noah,
Thanks for the offer on a violacea 'giant'.

Ok pyro

since I have some coming to me...

Would you be so kind to send me that info about them.
smile.gif

Thanks man

Jeff,

On the way via email
smile.gif

Pyro

Hummphh!
I wanna grow Genlisea too! I just can't provide the correct conditions at the moment.
Im going to have to get me a little terrarium I think!

What kind of special conditions are you referring to. I don't see why they wouldn't grown fine on a bright windowsill.

Richard,

I agree with Dodecatheon, you could grow them on a windowsill easily, although their growth might be a little slower than if they were in a terrarium.

Pyro

Hey, save those spent flower scapes of Genlisea violacea and lay them on the surface of the mix! I have 2 new rosettes forming. I thought it might be by stolons, but I also notice a rosette froming on a new scape, complete with stolons so I think that proves that these new plants formed from the old scapes.

I get the majority of my hispidula cuttings in the spring from scapes. They actually take better than leaves from my experience.

Pyro

Back