What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experienced CPer new to Utrics

I've never been much into these things, probably because I had nowhere to keep the aquatic varieties (and the terrestrials weren't really available when I was a kid). I just got some Utriculata radiata and inflata and was wondering if I can keep these in a manmade water pond out in the yard? The pond is filled with city water, but it's been there for awhile, probably long enough for the harmful chemicals to distill.

Can someone with more experience than I can get from a book offer advice?

Oz,

I'll toss out a little of what I know but I am going to say straight out that I have yet to grow an aquatic Utric.

From all I have been told those 2 species can get big so growing them in a pond is your best bet. If you feel the water is safe I'd say you can give it a try. A couple people I know have indicated that these species like a more shaded condition and thrike under a thin coat of duckweed. I think Tamlin grows one of these so you might want to check with him. I would also suggest you go to Tim Malcom's home page and from there jump to the link on how to cultivate aquatic Utrics. It is about the most comprehensive "how-to" I have seen on these plants

Hope all this helps

Pyro

I grow U. Vulgaris in a large tank. I think U. Inflata and radiata are slightly smaller species so I would think they should respond to similar treatment.

The tank is made of clear plastic and is 3 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide by 2 feet deep. The bottom is covered in a 2 inch layer of peat wich is then coated in a layer of sand. I filled this up slowly. It took about 3 weeks for the water to clear completely. I had some sever problems with algae at first and the p[lants didn't seem to be growing to well. To 'condition' the water I placed a pot of sphagnum moss in the corner of the pond and also planted a miniature sedge. Soon after this the bladderwort grew and branched like crazy! You can adapt these conditions to a pond by adding peat to your water and planting companion plants such as sedges and miniature bullrushes. After I added the sedge I never had the slightest trouble from algea again. Also remember that Utricularia don't enjoy fast moving water so if you have a waterfall or fountain they may not be too happy! Good luck and I hope you manage to see the spectacular floats on the flowers!

Back