What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Radiata

I'm looking for one! Any one know where I can get one?

Hey Neppie,
Havron (Shawn) sent me some, which I quickly killed.
sad.gif
BUT, a 1 inch piece survived and now fills up the whole length of a ten gallon aquarium! This is just a single plant...and I'm not sure if it would be possible to divide it...hmm...

You may want to PM havron about it. I have not seen him on the forums lately (but I have yet to check general discussions), however.

But be warned! U. radiata is not easy to grow. It requires a larger container, at least ten gallons but ideally, bigger. It is sensitive to algae and hates humans, particularly me.
sad.gif

Cultivation: thoroughly mix one cup peat per gallon of pure water. Shawn suggests using 1/2 cup instead. Because Shawn's and D'Amato's opinions conflict, I actually use 3/4 cup.
smile.gif
Pour this mix into the container and just leave it there for at least a few days, allowing it to clear and adopt the yellowish complexion safe for U. radiata. After the water clears, carefully add the plant--don't dump it in!

It is a much better idea to NOT put the tank in sunlight--algae will form fairly quickly, killing the plant unless you act fast. Instead, use cool white fluorescent bulbs. I'm using only two in fear of algae, but four bulbs would probably be better.
Keep the tank in a room with an average temp; a cool room (e.g., a bedroom) would be best.

Then there are Co2 generators...I'm not going to advocate the use of one because 1) U. radiata does not appear to need one and 2) the yeast generator is what killed my original plants. The infamous 'siphon' ocurred, which brought yeast into the tank, causing algae to form, killing most of the small plants I had just received.

Ironically, a siphon is also what I used to remove the algae-infused water from the tank.
smile.gif

Do not fertilize! The dreaded algae, remember. However, U. radiata will not grow well unless it is fed, preferably with Daphnia, available here. Use D. pulex, not sp. magna.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but aquatic utrics are notoriously tough to grow. See here.

Good luck!

Chris

Chris,

To divide your utric (I'm not saying you should or anything
smile.gif
) snip it in half with a pair of scissors. Only a few inches of main stem are needed, each will continue growing. I've done this a few times with my u. foliosa, It's a fun and easy way of getting more plants
biggrin.gif

-noah

Hey Noah,

Thanks, I will try that. So it would be possible to divide it into many pieces, providing they are all *living* growth? The total length, BTW, is about 18". You see, one end of the plant is the growth point, which appears to have stopped; the other end is a couple inches of dead, old material. Ideally, I'd like to divide it so that 1) the tank has more than one plant of radiata and 2) Neppie can have some if still interested. If you don't grow radiata, you are welcome to an eventual cutting as well. Again, thanks.

Chris

Neppie, Chris

You might want to check with Tamlin I think he grows this species and his aquatic cultivation method was excellent from the few times I have talked with him about it.

Pyro

poophead has some , i traded him my S. purpurea for a few , but I have too much of a small amount to trade or give away .

Hi Chris,

You will want a few inches of live stem. There are the little "branches" coming off of the stem, shoots come off the main stem here if it is seperated from the main growing point. Does this make sense?

---$---$--- / -$----$---$-- / --$---$---$#

/ = cut
--- live stem
$ = sittle "branchy fronds" with traps. This is also where the stem will sprout.

# main growing point.

This may not be how your plant looks, but that's how my u. foliosa looks and I believe this is the basic structur of most aquatic utrics.

Hope this helps,

noah

p.s. I would be interested in some if it works
biggrin.gif

Hey Noah,

YOU WANT U REDIATA!!! OHH JESA!! i could give you all you need mwhahahahah! just tell me what you are willing to trade for it, oh i know, remmeber we set up a trade for a D. multifida.. i would be extremely happy with that, or D. Dichatoma Giant... or D. Multifida Extrema... doesnt matter, i am looking to start a collection of forked sundews... soo tell em what you think, i can send you at least a foot even more...

Cya Laters
Jim
biggrin.gif
confused.gif
sad.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

oops sorry, wrong Noah i think?
confused.gif
im so sorry, i thought you were like this other noah... ughhh ARe there 2 noahs here?? this is confusing.... hermmm well if this is a different Noah the noah that i am not aqainted with, then i am willing to trade anything that you are willing to part with... so tell me what you think.. okdoke

Cay laters
Jim

Oh and also,
ummmm.. i dunno where anyone can get that these plants are anything close to hard to grow... (no offense) but this species is on of the most Robust, Sincere, Easiest Grown Cp ive ever grown, this was my first utric so i had no what so ever experience in growing them at all, and i recieved 3 3" stems and i placed them under ONE standard aquarium flourescnt light, and in 2 weeks i had exactly what, havron told me i woudl have a 10 gallon tank full of Utrics, althought he insisted that i used a Co2 REactor i didnt, because of certain implecations that has happened, and i just wanted to throw the REactor on the Grounf and Beat it in with a bat.. if oyu knwo what i mean.... but i also used Peat Tea, for the Replacements of the adding of Pure peat to the water... if you dont knwo how to make peat tea, contact me or others.. about it.. but anyways, these plants are extremely easy to grow, for it being a first aquatic utric that i have ever owned.. the idea is, watch the plant for a week or two, and if no algae begins to grow, you are some what most likely not goign to haev problems with it... but do be careful as for just yesturday i had an algae attack and i immadiately replaced the water... and also i do use a fertilizer, especially for water plants.. now mind you, be careful with this, dont add it immeadiately after changing the water, like i did just like my last water change.. because it will Cause an Algae Bloom.. ALGAE BLOOMS I HAEV FOUJND OUT IT BADDDDD bwhahahha.. but after so many days of not seeing any algae bloom you may cautiously add the fertilizer to the water, in a very diluted state... these plants do like there room, and 10 gallon tank is quite enough. But the Idea is if you see no problems in the 2 weeks that pass you can basically forget about them... and look at them so often and be amazed on how fast these things multiply...

well i hope you get some of these plants, and sorry for getting you confused with the other noah in the forum...

Cay laters
Jim

whoa...this sudden rush of information has got me a little dazed, so I'll just say...

Thanks, everyone.
smile.gif

Chris

Hey,
If you want i can send you some U Rediata sinc ei think yours has died, i would prefer a trade, but if you dont have anything to trade i will just send soem to you for cost of shipping..... tell me what you think okdoke...
smile.gif

Cya laters
Jim
tounge.gif

Hey Jim,

I am the one and only noah
biggrin.gif
yeah sure I'll trade.. I'll message you in a minute. righty ho? alrighty ho.

-noah

Back