What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding utrics

Hi!

I read somewhere how to feed your Utrics by putting a jar full of straw full of rainwater away for about 3 weeks. After 1 week the smell was reasonable okay... But right now, three weeks further the smell is horrible. I don't dare to give it to my plants. Someone got experience with this method?

Greets,

Marco

The way I am growing my Utrics there is always a bit of water in their tray, after time it gets colonized by micro-organisms and the feeding taked care of it self. If you want to speed the process up go to a local lake/pond/stream and get a jar of water and use that. Just make sure the water is not polluted or run-off from a cow pasture or something.

I am moving this to the Utric forum
smile.gif

I also grow them in a water tray, which seems to work fine. I've heard that about feeding with water that has sit out with straw also, but have never tried it, and I don't think it would be worth the effort (I also can't understand why straw, or such a long period of time, is necessary).

Many of my Utric basins are colonized with daphnia. Does anyone know if these will nourish terrestrial Bladderworts as long as the water table is equal to or above the soil line? I wondered if the daphnia are too large for some terrestrials.

As I recall, many zooplankton microorganisms go into a dormant state. The dormant propagules are then transported from one system to the next by wind, animals, and other vectors. So the 3 weeks period allows time for the microorganisms to be dispersed in the container.

I wouldn't place the smelly water with the utrics if you don't see any living microorganisms.

Daphnia are probably too large for most terrestrials. Organisms more along the lines of rotifer and small cyclops are more in their league. Also springtails and young nematodes.

Back