What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth of aquatic bladerworts

Just wondering if anyone knows at what level do the various aquatic bladerworts and Aldrovanda float at? I have a small pond in my greenhouse that I used to overwinter some U. gibba and U. purpurea. The U. gibba has grown and floats on the top of the water. I thought the U. purpurea did not surrive because I did not see it. I was moving the surface plants around to check on the fish and I found the U. purpurea on the bottom. My U. vulgaris seems to like being a few inchs below the water. The reason I am asking is I have some U. inflata, Aldrovanda and U. radiata on the way I am currious to know how they will fit in.
Marjorie

Aldrovanda is a surface grower. Vulgaris (Macrorhiza) I have seen in habitat at the depth of 3 inches, a shallow fixed aquatic. Radiata needs a 19 gallon aquarium, and purpurea the same (optimally) although I have mine in a smaller fishbowl which surpirsingly is algae free! Yay! (First time ever!) Intermedia wants a lot of space, but will adjust it's size to fit, as will most of the aquatics. don't expect them to flower though unless you provide a lot of space.

Thanks for the info. I have them in 30 Gallon ponds right now. I have one outside and another inside the greenhouse. I plan on installing a larger 100+ gallon pond next to the bog this summer. Hopefully they will be happy together until I get it built.

Marjorie

Tamlin, I have my U. radiata in a 10 gallon aquarium. I suppose I will never see it flower?

Havron,
You might get by with this size, if you can beat the algae and still provide enough light. This is what I am currently doing as well, and like so many others I have problems with algae in this tank. In habitat these Utricularia are usually associated with other species that both acidifty and purify the water: a balanced ecosystem. The plants grow in full sun under these conditions, and are often sheathed in algae which acts as a sunscreen: allowing good growth but also protecting the plants. In tanks this same algae will eventually kill them, as there is nothing to check its growth. I am new to the culture of radiata, but I have grown and flowered macrorhiza in full sun in an opaque dishpan with a sheet of white plastic lying on the surface, in full sun. The size of radiata doesn't allow for a dishpan, but I wonder if a larger opaque container with similar sheeting wouldn't produce similar success. The macrorhiza is algae free: not enough light to make green soup, and the plants are protected against sunburn by the plastic. Remove the plastic and the plants would get sunburned and/or algae would be rampant. It is a difficult quandry. They need the light to flower, but must be protected at the same time. In larger tanks or ponds companion species will maintain the balance, but there isn't enough room in a 10 gallon tank to grow them and the Utricularia. I wish I could help you more. Reduced light will discourage algae, as will lower temperatures, but this is not going to promote flowering. Oh for a pond!

Back