What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etoliate?

I read Tamlin's post about how D. spathulata flower stalks stretch with insufficient light, and I was wondering if that is possible for genlisea too, because the flower stalk is pretty long...

Its the same flower stalk from a while ago. Its still growing, so its not dead, but I'm just wondering if it WILL flower or not...

How long is it by now? My only Genlisea, G. violaceae, did produce a 15cm long flower stalk before the first flower appeared.

Joachim

its a G. hispidula... Five inches tall... I can't wait. Hehehe...

That's normal for G. hispidula. The G. violacea 'giant' can get to nearly 1.5 feet!

These scapes can get quite long. My hispidula is just flowering now. Genlisea have really pretty flowers: my violacaea is everblooming.

Awsum. Thanks...

Nobody thinks its flowering kuz it thinks its about to die, right?

grrr. your violacae is blooming and mine is not.
sad.gif

so my question is, what conditions are yours in. Is there anything one can do to trigger flowering? I have had mine for over a year and never a flower. I've given away dozens of babies from leaf cuttings but have gotten never a flower stalk. Mine is growing in wet peat. Previously I had it growing in waterlogged peat and water. High humidity, approximetaly 8 in. from two full spectrum fluorescent light tubes.

thanks.

noah

Do you keep the water level constant, or do you allow it to vary?

Me or him? I keep my constant...
confused.gif

Right now I don't have much of a "water level", the pot is sitting in a plastic container in humid conditions, so the soil is wet but not at all soggy. I was going to see if less wet conditions work, but it has been this way for over a month now with no result. Would fluctuating the water level trigger flower scape production as in some aquatic utrics?

noah

Any ideas for trying to get my G. hispidula to bloom? Is there anything special I need to do? I let the water level fluctuate and flood it occasionaly..

my water stays pretty much level with the surface of the medium (living moss), but drops about two or three CM as it evaporates... Thats just me being lazy, but it might be good for it, i dunno... I don't flood it over tho...

Back