What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first bladderwort

Hi. I am really wanting a utric,whitch utric is best to start out with?other than livida?
biggrin.gif
thanks
biggrin.gif
Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif

A good easy grower is Utricularia dichotoma which flowers reliably: the flowers are very nice too.

You might also want to try U.sandersonii. The flowers of this species is shaped like bunny ears.

You can't go wrong with either of those. I would recommend U. flaccida too. U. calycifida is another good one.

tim.

ok. thanks for the help!
biggrin.gif
I thought sandersonii wasn't a beginer plant
wink.gif
confused.gif
thanks for the help!
tounge.gif

Most any of your basic terrestrials make good beginner plants. U. dichotoma is great for easy flowering, tricolor and calycifida have good leaves, praelonga and pubescens have really rapid growth.

Most of the terresterials are of similar, if not identical culture. Some are slower to establish than others, but generally they are problem free. I find with starts that they either survive and grow, or they dont survive at all. The critical period is when the start is first planted.

Speaking of first planting, I repotted my utrics and I noticed that a few days later some of them produced flower scapes. I know flowering takes energy from growth but so does settling in after transplanting, should I cut these off or let them flower?

Nope, that's typical. I'm not quite sure why it happens.

Back