What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subulata legalities

Hello utricularians!

I read in Schnell's book that U. subulata is a friendly, if vigorous, plant.  I have room in my very large sarr/frap/sundew pot (undrained) for a terrestrial utric, which may provide a little binding for the soil surface if it spreads rapidly.

However, I don't know if it is legal to grow the thing outdoors here.  Will it lay waste local wetlands?

I am also interested in any alternatives, as subulata does not seem to be sold by any of the vendors of which I am aware.  I need a terrestrial that doesn't mind a longish, coldish (not freezing) winter and a warm Ohio summer outdoors with lots of sun.

Your help is appreciated, as always.

Steve

I dont have the weed, but I think that you may not want to get it. If you do put it in the mini-bog setup, & you get more utrics in your collection later on (or if you already have some) it may invade those pots. As far as how it would affect the wetlands, I think it would not have a wide spread affect bec of its size. However, it may catch up with some of the smaller inhabitants of the bogs and become invasive. Maybe someone who has it can give more info on its outdoor behavior.  

Hope this helps,:)
Cole

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Colieo @ Mar. 22 2003,7:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont have the weed, but I think that you may not want to get it. If you do put it in the mini-bog setup, & you get more utrics in your collection later on (or if you already have some) it may invade those pots. As far as how it would affect the wetlands, I think it would not have a wide spread affect bec of its size. However, it may catch up with some of the smaller inhabitants of the bogs and become invasive. Maybe someone who has it can give more info on its outdoor behavior.  

Hope this helps,:)
Cole[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks!

Any suggestions for a replacement species?

I thought of sublata because its range includes most of Ohio, so I thought it would be OK and easy. Then I started wondering about differences between the native version and a cultivated one, and whether this presented any difficulties.

That said, I want to buy it, not go out to a beleaguered wetland and "collect" one, even if it is a weed. If I can't buy one, I'll just do without. Nobody sells it, or any other N. American terrestrial that would do, to my limited understanding.

Steve

I can't imagine even the most stalwart CP conservationist begrudging you some wild-collected U. subulata. You could try some U. cornuta or U. resupinata though.

I bought U. sandersonii from California carnivores and it was infected with U. subulata. Im sure you could get it from them if they gave it to me. Hehe sounds like im talking about an STD. hehe. . . ahh

biggrin.gif

Khai,

Pretty close to that I'm afraid.

Believe me, its only a matter of time before you have Utricularia subulata.

In a sense, not having U. subulata is the rare event: like finding a girl above the age of 11 that doesn't have pierced ears, lol.

"U. Subulata Is Everybody's Problem"?

It's the Seventies all over again!

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dodecatheon @ Mar. 23 2003,02:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't imagine even the most stalwart CP conservationist begrudging you some wild-collected U. subulata. You could try some U. cornuta or U. resupinata though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks! I will try to find a cornuta dispenser.

Perhaps subulata should be renamed U. Rasputina, since it apparently cannot be killed no matter what you try.

I just want some little yellow flowers, darnit.

Steve

U.subulata likes to skip the middle man (flowers), and go straight to the seed pods, so you may not get little yellow flowers that much!

Cole

Back