What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reinformis in terrarium

Has anyone tried growing Reinformis and how does it do? Where can I get one even though Utrics are supposedly easy to propagate I don't see anyone selling them. Also would they like a lot of light or a little?
smile.gif

Gafoto,

I am currently growing reniformis seedlings in my terrarium and it is doing very well so it can be done. However, I have been told by multiple sources that if you want it to flower it needs to reach a minimum critical size and mature plants should be in at least an 8" pot preferably larger.

Mine is exposed to pretty high light, 3 grow lights and direct afternoon sun for about 4 hours. but I think it can handle lower levels as well.

As for where to get it, you are going to have to hunt. It took me 3.5 years before I managed to get some seeds from a source in the UK. If you can wait I would be happy to offer you a division off mine once it is large enough but I can't say exactly when that will be.

I have always found it ironic that the easiest genus of the CPs (and in my opinion one of the coolest) is next to impossible to find anywhere. If you want some other type of Utric I might be able to assist in that department, drop me a line if you are interested and we can work something out

Pyro

Amen to that thought Pyro! Regarding reniformis, I have mine in pure live moss, kept wet but not waterlogged. It needs a large pot to really do well, or a mesh basket, which is how our source grows his. flowering is prolific in the spring if the medium is exposed to conditions similar to those needed by Sarracenia during dormancy, including an occasional light freeze. The leaves die back to the stolons, but return in the spring along with the flower scapes. I don't know much more on this one as it is new to my cultivation.

I think I just might take you up on your offer Pyro. I don't have any utrics so I would enjoy a small piece of something that could live in a terrarium. I'm not particular about what I want so I wouldn't want a seedling that would be hard-pressed to live through the winter.

Also I just ordered some U. Gibba and Longifolia seeds from the seed bank at the ICPS, would you kindly tell me your thoughts on starting these little guys? :biggrin:

I don't exactly have any CPs that I could send but if you're intrested in tillandisia I might be able to send you a baby in trade. My e-mail is Gafoto@aol.com of on AIM i'm Gafoto.

Gafoto,

Right now the only Utric I can definitly get a cutting from is my U. tricolor. It is a terrestrial and can be grown in a terrarium easily (or a window or wherever the light is good.) Drop me a message with your addy and I'll get it out to you (if you are still interested.)

As for starting Utric seeds, if I may be blunt; Don't expect to succeed. This is nothing against you personally it has to do with the fact that the majority of Utric seeds seem to have a very short viability period. That being said here is what I can suggest. For the U. gibba, I have never grown this species but indications are that it is a sub-affixed. Get some peat and water and mix it to about the consistancy of pudding put it in an undrained container and then sow the seeds. For the longifolia I would use milled sphag in a seedling pot and keep the water level about a half inch below media level. I would also suggest you mist them a little every day or so.

I have also just heard, from the listserv, that a sure way to germinate Utric seeds is to forget you have them. I am guessing this is the 'watched pot' phenomenon.

I hope you succeed, and if you do pass your technique back to us because I am currently trying to germinate about a dozen species.

Pyro

Part of the problem is that everyone wants the same utrics, and those happen to be the big ones. A lot of people, especially those without greenhouses, have trouble growing these plants, or at least have trouble making them grow quickly.

And another thing.

I'd advise against wasting time trying to germinate utric seeds. It's really hard, and quite disappointinig. Save your money and shell out for a few rare things from, say, bestcarnivorousplants.com, then trade your way up to a vast and interesting collection of obscure bladderworts.

And then give me some.

Dodecatheon, If you want Utrics I know a website for CHEAP ones... One dollar for gibba, and five for calcyfida... Thos are the lowest, and highest prices, but you can get plenty in between...

Its CANADIAN, so its really one dollar! Only problem is that the cheapest shipping charge is &#365.15 unless you want it to be shipped by regular mail... Message me if you are interested in the webiste i speak of... :wink: hehehhee

Thanks for the tip Parasuco. I think I know the place, but my interests lie in more obscure plants that they sell.

Have a look at my growlist if you're interested - www.islandnet.com/~tmalcolm

That website is YOU??? It looks sooo.... proffesional! Do you know Chris Fieger?! I think shes a great person... I changed my mind on wich plant I wanted like, a gazzilion times, and she was kewl with it... Your link is on her site, which is the one with the plants...

"...I'd advise against wasting time trying to germinate utric seeds..."

Hmmm, but propagating plants throughout seed has one main advantage :
different clones !!!

seeds of u. humboldtii or U. nelumbifolia should be very fascinating... (germination within some hours, embryo visible throug the seed shell,...)

btw... very nice homepage...

btw2... if you know a source for U. quelchii or one of the Australien spezies with the big traps, let me know....

Martin

Martin,

You are correct about adding variety and I was not trying to say that no seed should be sown. I was just stating what I am starting to see and Dodec has pointed out a few times, that being that usually by the time you contact someone who has seed and then they package and ship the seeds to you the seeds have usually "expired." That being the case it is probably better for the grower who flowers his/her plant to sow the seed and to then distribute the new plants when they are ready.

As for quelchii, I have learned there is at least one grower in FL and I have been told they post on the listserv so maybe you can track them down there. I wish I could give you a name but I have been unable to dig it up.

Finding the Australian species is also rather difficult Your best bet for these would probably be Lowre. Right now I am trying to germinate U. lasiocaulis and if I am successful I will of course try and distribute it to as many growers as can care for it.

Pyro

Back