What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.gibba

Help me! Magore is sending me U.gibba and i dont have any soil and i have no idea how to grow them!

You should have asked instructions BEFORE asking for it in a trade...
Why not ask Magore?

This is my method, and it seems to work well for me: I place the gibba on top of pure peat in an undrained container, and keep the container filled to a couple of cm above the plant with water, allowing it to dry off to just wet, and repeat. After the stolons attach into the peat, and the plant is growing well, I submerge the whole thing in a plastic dishpan filled with rainwater, with a sheet of white plastic on the surface. Mine is outdoors partially under the leaves of a daylilly, where it gets several hours of direct sun. It's going wild. I haven't overwintered it yet, but will try this year to allow it to freeze solid.

wes you have got to learn to have patience especially growing any kind of cps
smile.gif
.u gibba are aquatic they do not require any soil except some peat thrown in to there water.hope that helps
wink.gif

Go here and scroll down to the topic titled Sub affixed Bladderworts and there is a whole page on cultivation for U. gibba.

Pyro

WHEN I SAY SOIL i mean peat moss or sand crap. Although i know realize i have peat and perlite witch i will mix together with a spoon and then plant the Gibba in it.

I wouldn't use perlite as it will all just float up when you submerge it.

Pyro

My method (also got the u.gibba from magore):

6" goldfish bowl
1" of 75% peat, 25% sand
2" of water (above the soil mix)

gotta agree with thistle,as that is the best way to grow it,cause its the same way i am growing it and its thriving!!!
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wickedthistle @ July 23 2002,5:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My method (also got the u.gibba from magore):

6" goldfish bowl
1" of 75% peat, 25% sand
2" of water (above the soil mix)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I tried this and all Igot was a big muddy bowl of water. What if you just stick it in a bowl with some distilled water and let it go will that work?

The mud will settle down in a few days. Just distilled water will work, but the plants like to have a tiny bit of soil at the bottom to anchor themselves with. Wait a bit longer, and try not to splash and play with the u.gibba
wink.gif

You can grow it in just distiled water. Most people use the other method because that is the only way to get it to flower.

Back