What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let the joyous news be spread

Tamlin,
I am Dieing to see pics!

I'll get Pinguicula Man to set them up as soon as I have flowers to show. Thanks for the interest!

The bud is swelling, and there is some color in the sepals now. I expect the flower to open this week or next: it still could be either pink or white, but I think it is going to be white.

Keep us posted tamlin!!
P.S is it sacreligious to say utrics are BORING!?
wink.gif

Cole

what color was it
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
lol .
i read all of the posts and got so excited , and then........
i got to the last post.
no picture or any info , i'll have to look through and see if you posted it .
maybe i'm just blind and did'nt notice !!!!

Hey Chomper,

Tamlin posted some pics in here, not sure where though but a quick search should pull it up.

The flower ended up being mauve (much to my shagrin as the plant originated with me and now I am bummed that it isn't the real 'alba&#39
wink.gif
Still and all it was a beautiful bloom.

Doh'

i knew i must have been blind!!
thankx for the verry quick reply .

I have a question about this species. I just got a clump and haven't yet eliminated enough variables to know what to do next. I thought perhaps it was getting too cold from the draughts from my open window (since it's a tropical plant), but after reading this thread i guess that's not right!

I guess i should explain what the problem is. The leaves are turning a brownish-purple, mostly around the centre vein. It's not a nice brownish-purple, but rather a nasty looking brownish purple. Now that i've ruled out the cold, i am still trying to decide between humidity and light. I put a plastic cup over the remaining leaves to see if they do better with the raised humidity. I've got the plant about 15 cm under fluorescent growlights - is that too much light?

Anyway, after all the excitement about Tamlin's plant, i really hope to get to see some of those beautiful blooms myself someday soon!

Thanks - and this is my first post here. Nice place ya got...

The clone of this plant that William and I grow gets a purple/brown at the base of the leaf, this is just a normal colouring though. It sounds as if maybe your plant is getting so much light that this colour is developing more on your plant. Go for a half sun to bright indirect lighting for it and see how it goes.

And welcome to the forums
smile.gif
Hope to see more of you

I've got it under fluorscent lights.  It seems unlikely it could be getting "too much" light that way, but i've moved it out a bit to see if it does better at lower light levels.
20030418-CP-U.longifolia%20weird%20leaves,%20D.muscipula%20'Dente'.jpg

20030418-CP-U.longifolia%20weird%20leaves,%20D.muscipula%20'Dente'%20&%20'Blood%20Red%20Traps'.jpg

The smaller leaf on the right (in the middle back on the lower picture).  Started out ok, and has just recently started turning the same brown-purpleI don't think these are ornamental purple blotches.  What's wrong with my plant?!?

It looks like a fungal attack of some sort to me. I can offer no advise regarding what to do, as I have never had to deal with it, but you might try reducing the humidity and see if this makes any improvement.

I agree with Tamlin. What you say about the leave starting ok and then getting the weird appereance enforces this theory, so does the pictures.

I'd go to separating the plant from other CP's and applying some fungicide.

One i have succesfully used with CP's is Manzate at a half strenght solution.

I also concur on the fungus theory, looks kinda like sooty mould but that can't be in this case as sooty mould goes for high nectar areas and I have never seen nectar on a Utris leaf. Might be mildew but that is an off the wall guess. I agree also with the recomendation of a humidity drop and mybe a light misting of a fungicide.

Back