What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia arenaria

My macro lens wasn't enough to get this shot.  I used a hand held magnifier that had a  thicker lens inset on the side, just a bit over 1 cm in diameter.  I had to get the flower in the field of the lens, focus the camera (which was had to be held vertically), and then adjust the hand lens to further focus.  I had no tripod, so everything had to be held rigidly immobile as possible.  Out of some 30 shots, I got about 5 good ones.  The flowers on my plants were smaller than the head of a match!  Just look at the character in this flower!  It reminds me a little of a dinosaur, and like some of the other species seems to be grinning like it knows something YOU don't.

Utricularia_arenaria_032003_3!_r.jpg

nice shot. isn't it funny how after 40 mins of taking pictures, uploading them to the computer, viewing them and deleting them just to start over again then you get one nice one. and you remember why you do it.
smile.gif
it keeps me comming back every time.
later,

Tamlin,

Was the flower fully open when you took the picture? It looks different from my arenaria (like if it has opened partially).

Here is a picture of my plant,

Uarenaria1.jpg

Hi Seb,
Same flower, different angle: this is a profile shot, yours is a frontal view.

Interesting view tamlin, it really fooled me
smile.gif

Kinda looks like the head of an animal that resulted from the crossing of a velociraptor and a McCaw!
wink.gif
tounge.gif

schloaty... It's odd how you have a picture mind like me... Frightening to posses such an ability, isn't it?

Parasuco,
You thought that too, eh? Makes life interesting, doesn't it?

When you're at the Fragrance shop, do you ever say "It smells like crushed up leaves," or "Mr. Clean mixed with Maple Syrope"?

Back