What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. dichotoma
U. monanthos
U. longifolia
U. sandersonii typical
U. sandersonii blue flower

ok so these are the plants i was given , i got them yesterday i was so excited .
i spent all morning and day looking for info on how to take care of them , and it's VERRY confuseing!!!! heh

well i've read that U.dichotoma needs to be grown semi aquatic , as in water should be up to the leaves on top of the peat/pearlite .

but what about the other ones ?
i've also read that U. longifolia needs "live Long fibered sphagnum peat" , becasue it grows that way in the wild .

right now i have all of them in small plastic pots , submerged in rain water .
the potting medium is 5o - peat/ 5o - pearlite .
is this a good soil for them ?
i also have them 4 inches from my florecent grow lights , 15W cool and warm light .

i will be going out later today to get some LfS for the U. longifolia . and possibly some silica sand . if it's a good price .

also i should mention that i know nothing about U. monanthos .

oh and the U.sandersonii has some flowers on it , should i cut them off to encorage stollon and blader growth ?
biggrin.gif

Don't sweat the details. I grow all of these the same way: half peat and half sand (perlite works too, but it tends to float). I grow them in a standard 4-inch plastic pot sitting in a tray with an inch or so of water, I water them from above every day or so, just to keep the surface moist. I, personally, would not submerge them. Each of those that you list are easy to grow. Don't cut off the flowers! They grow easily and U. sandersoii flowers profusely. You would spend every day cutting off the flowers and would miss the real reason why anyone wants to grow Utrics. U. monanthos and U. dichotoma are virtually dentical in their growing conditions (in fact, some taxonomists consider them to be the same species, but others do not).

oh kool!!
thank you so much bobz.

i got so confused about how to take care of them lol , it's so kool hehe these plants are so awsome , when i was replanting them i got to see some of the bladers!!!!!!!!!!! way awsome i think.

i got a small centimeter of U.dichatoma and put it in with a vft lol
hope it grows
thank you SO MUCH BOBZ,
i'll have to post a pic of them soon!!!

happy growing!!!

Back