What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. reniformis small form

Thanks to a very kind and generous fellow Utricularian several of us are now cultivating this plant. I was wondering how wet to keep the substrate after reading Giles comment on another post anout the stolons in the deep water. I have mine in live LFS sitting in an inch of water. I am getting some leaves forming which are fine, and some that are small and underdeveloped. I really want to succeed with this species so does this sound like a good plan, or does someone have a better method? Thanks in advance.

I have this same plant form that same source (Thank you kind sir
smile.gif
) I believe he mentioned to me that he grows his the same way you are growing yours Tamlin. Myself, I potted mine up in an undrained container of LFS, I add water until it just begins to show through the LFS allow to it to dry until damp and then repeat the whole process. With our heat down here that is about a weekly cycle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ May 12 2003,10:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have this same plant form that same source (Thank you kind sir
smile.gif
) I believe he mentioned to me that he grows his the same way you are growing yours Tamlin. Myself, I potted mine up in an undrained container of LFS, I add water until it just begins to show through the LFS allow to it to dry until damp and then repeat the whole process. With our heat down here that is about a weekly cycle.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Just curious, but did that person who gave you the U. reniformis go to Saturdays BACPS meeting? Someone there brought U. reniformis, and if i remember correctly he said he had recently given some cuttings to a couple freinds... Just curious...

Hi,

I do not grow mine in sphagmum. I use a mix of sand and peat. In summer i water them by the traymethod. The pots are standing in about 1cm ( roughly 0.4 inch) of water. I think, it is important to give your plants a dormancy. During this time, i do not use the traymethod. I keep the soil just damp. My plants are growing really well under these conditions, but have never flowered. I've often heard, the plants will only flower if you give them a dormancy and if the stolons filled up the pot completely. I have not repotted mine for two years, but haven't got a flower yet.

Christian

I think the flowers on this are my favorite in the genus, at least so far! I don't know why I tend to worry so about these plants, they usually do quite well for me, but for some reason they make me nervous when I first get them.

Hey, I am a ditto on the plant source, and I am growing it like you recomended. The one fully developed leaf solon is over 1 1/2 inches. I have holes melted in the pot, and I keep it damp; flooding a few times a week.

Cole

My plants are in LFS/Peat/Perlite (2:1:1 approx.) and growing in a large water lily pot/basket. This stands in about an inch of water in the growth period (March-Nov), but I keep the substrate just damp when it's above-ground growth dies down in winter, recommencing full watering when new growth appears. They need a cool, dry winter dormancy to flower well. I also, occasionally, give the pot a light foliar feed with very dilute acidic fertiliser (similar to Miracid, but a UK brand).

After four years, it looks like this form is finally going to flower for me (cue aphid attack/kiddies prying fingers etc.). I should be able to post a flower picture in a couple of weeks. I have talked to several successful U.K. growers of this plant (i.e. it flowers every year for them) over the last couple of years and my current growing regime is a result of their advice. I have wanted to flower this species since first opening 'Savage Garden' and I hope that my 'Large/Typical' form (obtained as a small plant last Summer) flowers in a year or two as well.

Vic

Thanks to all for the input. I believe I will increase the depth of the water the plant sits in based on this information.

Vic, you be sure to take tons of pics of that flower! WOW! Congratulations on your success!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ May 12 2003,6:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just curious, but did that person who gave you the U. reniformis go to Saturdays BACPS meeting?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Spec,

Nope. Our source was not anyone from California

Tamlin and all

Just in case it doesn't make it, here is the flower bud. Not too long now!

Renibud.jpg

And here is a comparison of leaf size with typical U. reniformis I think you can figure out which is which!

reni.jpg

Cheers

Vic

OOOOOOOHh, So the one on the left is the small form and the one on the right is the giant form
smile.gif
LOL

Pyro, I think you have a direction problem
wink.gif
For those of you who have the small form, how large are the leaves on your plant?

Cole

No direction problem, I am just slap happy.

The leaves on mine are coming in between 3-6mm

From memory, my small form leaves get to about 1.5" across, on thin stalks about 5" long. It's fairly similar to U. nelumbifolia, but with reniform not peltate leaves.

Giles

My nelumbifolia is much closer is size to my 'large form' reniformis.

Really - how do you grow it, and what size leaves are you getting? Are you giving it shade, humidity & heat, or lots of light etc.? Mine haven't been looking so good recently - aphids mainly - but I hope the ones I've brought with me to Dublin start to grow a bit faster.

Giles

Giles, from the size of your leaves it sounds like your plant is not the small form.

My plants largest leaves are only 1.5 cms in diameter and with 3 cms long petioles.

Happy growing.

Well, from looking at Vic's picture again, his big plant looks like my small form. What I take to be the 'typical' form is much bigger and very robust, with very thick stolons (1cm probably). Can anyone in the UK offer me a piece of the very small form? Dodec - how large is your typical reniformis? I never knew there were 3 sizes of reniformis - are there intermediates, and what is the result of crosses between them?

Giles

Giles
there are quite a range of small forms. I have one similar size to yours & Vics, also a very small form from high altitude similar in size to UtricSeb's. Mail me if you want some. What are you doing at Dublin, PhD?
Stephen

Hi,

The leaves of mine are about 5cm in diameter, the petioles are about 7cm long. Here are two pictures :

Obviously, there seems to be more than just one small form.

Christian

Back