What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gardenofedon: tell us your secrets

Those are some fantastic looking pictures of nelumbifolia, humboltii etc. Could you please describe for us your growing conditions, and methods? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

tim.

I would really appreciate it too
smile.gif

Both spezies aren't ephiphytes.

I only grow U humboldtii but it should work for both spezies.
Use sphagnum, keep them wet and under "tepui-conditions"

Martin

that's right, grow them in a pot of pure sphagnum standing in a couple of inches of water (humboldtii and nelumbifolia). Alpina is even easier, I just grow it any Sarracenia mix, quite open with some perlite, and a topping of sphagnum. I give mine a winter minimum of about 48 degrees Fahrenheit, but they are probably better a few degrees warmer. Mine all get quite bright sun, but do appreciate dappled shade.

I appologize for interupting this post, but I must say, the word dappled is REALLY kewl....

Does anyone know of a source for alpina here in the U.S.? I really want this plant back in my collection - the flowers are spectacular!

Sorry Martin. I do realize that they aren't really epiphytic, but all the CP books have conditioned me to refer to that general group of utrics as epiphytic. It's the media's fault, dammit!

Anyway. GofE, you refer to a winter minimum. Am I correct in assuming that you grow it in a heated greenhouse? Martin, how about you?

Dodecatheon,

I'm right there with you. I am totally conditioned to call them epiphytes thanks to all the books out there and I have been corrected (sometimes nicely, sometimes not so nicely) more times than I can count. I take it with a grain of salt, after all everybody knows what I am talking about anyways.

Pyro

cool greenhouse, minimum 8 celsius (45 F?)

Back