What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snails

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of snails without harming the plants. Copper will kill the snails
smile.gif
but it will also kill the plants
mad.gif
It is a 30 gallon pond and I drained it several weeks ago, to remove the fish that were eating the plants instead of the mosiquito larva, and I thought I got all of the snails then. However, today I removed over 20 small black snails from my plants. They are able to float and seam to perfer eating the bladerworts instead of the algie on the side of the pond. I also have tadpoles and crayfish in the pond so I don't want anything too toxic.

Marjorie

Hey Marjorie,

I've got 'em too (especially since I got the u.gibba from you -thanks again by the way) and they initially multiplied but have leveled off. They're doing a perfect job maintaining the algae in my goldfish bowl but hey, you've got a whole pond!

Found a good article for you, the stuff you want to hear is at the bottom of it. Snail article.

Actually the U.gibba came out of another pond, I have three, and I thought it was snail free until a few days ago when I found a few small snails. It was the only one that I had not put any potted plants in so I am not sure how the snails got into it. I hope that I can keep it from having a snail explosion also. I drained and scrubbed my other pond last weekend to remove all traces of snails, of course some surrived. So I am sorry that you got some of my snails, but if you like them I can always send you more. I have a container that I keep duckweed in that I have been throwing the snails into. Who knows I may find a petstore who wants them.

Thanks but no thanks. I like them but not THAT much
wink.gif
I did see the eggs initially, but dumb me - I wanted to see what would come out. They don't seem so bad, perhaps they're of a different type? I've never seen one larger than 2mm.

Have you tried setting out small shallow containers with beer in them?  I use it to get rid of slugs.  they get drunk and drown.  It might work on snails as they're related.  Give'm the cheap stuff.
biggrin.gif
Save the good stuff for yourself and welcome guests.
wink.gif

Back