What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. reniformis 'small-leaved' flower

At last!  
smile.gif

smile.gif

Worth the four year wait!

Reni1.jpg

Vic

Wow, it's wonderfull.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations for bloomig this plant.

Very nice Vic, but how large is the flower?

Giles

Measured horizontally, the flower is 2.6cm (1 inch) across at it's widest.

Vic

So lets see here, I got mine about a month and a half ago so I only have... 3 years, and 10.5 months to wait for mine to flower. I can do that LOL
biggrin.gif

I think I probably wasted about two of those years figuring out how best to grow this one under my conditions, you probably shouldn't have to wait so long
smile.gif

Just for the record, the flower scape (stalk) is only about 5 inches tall, in the larger (typical forms) it can be over 18 inches.

Vic

Ohhhh, oohhh, ooooooo, mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!! Oh my, my!

'nuff said!

WOW! Very nice photo!
smile.gif

Cole

Great photo Vic- Lovely flower
smile.gif

What are the conditions you are now using?

I have a typical form which I have had for 15 years now, and it has flowered just the once in 1996
sad.gif

I have quite it under identical conditions in the hope of further flowers- no sign. Just loads of lovely leaves. I gather the typical form is even shyer to flower- is that correct?

As the plant is containered in a large 18" wide container I am wondering whether to split it up. Though I have read that it likes to remain undisturbed
rolleyes.gif

Any clues
alien.gif

cheers

bill

Hi Bill

I detailed my growing conditions for this plant in a thread a couple of weeks ago U. reniformis 'small form' thread.

I was always under the impression that the larger, typical form was easier to flower than the smaller ones, I've certainly seen plenty of them in flower in other collections. I does prefer a larger container though, I've only had mine a year and will probably move it into a larger basket when it fills it's current one.

Vic

Hi Vic
Interesting thread
wink.gif

I grow mine under very similar container/watering/temp conditions. And when it DID flower I guessed I had got the mix right. But no more flowers since
confused.gif

I had always gathered that the smaller version was easier to get to flower, but perhaps those people had simliar problems to me! I will be interested to see how long before your typical one flowers:p
What sort of light level do you give your plants?

cheers

bill

Bill

Natural light, dappled shade, some sun , but not full sun all day.

Vic

Back