What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. sandersonii "blue"

I have several pots of U. sandersonii "blue" where I have been able to obtain flowers, but other plants that I have of this plant have not flowered even under the same conditions, Im wondering if anyone know what triggers this plant to flower???
alien.gif

Also does anyone know what it takes to get U. graminifolia to flower?

Since no one has replied I've decided to give it my best shot to solve this mystery. First of all, I do not know what it takes exactly to get the "blue" to flower, but I have heard that their flower is rather uncommon. I do have a pot of these plants, and they have not flowered yet. Currently they are indoors in a terrarium at a 15 hr photoperiod. Late last summer, I recall a single bloom in one of my gardens outdoors. Highs were 70-75F and lows rather chilly in my neck of the woods (near Tacoma, WA USA) 50F. Try drying the plant out somewhat, or expose it to colder conditions... I will be doing the same if my indoor plants don't flower rather soon.

-Homer

Regarding the blue form of Utricularia sandersonii: mine came into flower at about 12hr. daylength and i have heard others speculate that this is a photosensitive species.

The U. graminifolia start I received rapidly grew and flowered profusely. Try dividing your plants and repotting in fresh medium.

My U. sandersonii "blue" flowered
smile.gif
but I have absolutly no idea why  
confused.gif
 see the pics here Pics
My U. graminifolia is growing well but hasnt flowered  
mad.gif

I don't think anything you do to the conditions is going to be able to make the Blue sandersonii flower as well as the normal form. My attitide with Utricularia in general is to make sure that they're happy and growing OK, then they can flower when they want to. Growing in a greenhouse means they get the full seasonal cycle, so anything daylength or temperature related should find the right conditions at some point. A constant terrarium environment could need some intervention, but give them time. Blue sandersonii never produces many flowers at the best of times - I suspect it's more likely to be an intrinsic thing, especially if some flower and others nearby don't.

Giles

Back