What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.bisquamata 'betty's bay' photo

Photo of my bisquamata 'Betty's Bay' form. it has flowers twice the normal size and is not invasive as it doesn't set seed.

BISQUAMATA%20BETTYS%20BAY.JPG

Very nice. Have you ever thought of registering it as a cultivar?

I may soon be able to help you effect this: I am waiting to hear a publishers quote for my "Cultivar Quarterly" If it is ecomomically feasible, I will be seeking cultivar submissions for it. I think this would be a great plant to give a cultivar name to. It is a potential award winner if I ever saw one. It's a shame it is unavailable here in the States though. The lack of seed probably accounts for this. Sigh. Drool.

I do believe that the Betty's Bay plant merits cultivar status! It is a beauty! By the way, this plant IS in the USA. I used to grow it several years ago, but gave away all my plants to various growers during a move. I don't know who has it anymore.

I got my plants from Gordon Snelling, who despite his otherwise good judgement, had no interest in the plant, which he called a "weed" growing in his other plants!

For continuity sake, it would probably be best to register this as a cultivar with the name of "Betty's Bay". My $.02...

Cheers

Barry

Hi Barry,

I believe the "old" names should be retained as much as possible when registering cultivars, same as you.  This way, there is better communication which is what the registration process ids really all about.

BTW; I do see a leaf emerging from the moss, so it looks like I am justified in having this on my growlist :)

A weed!  Well, hrrrrrumpf, one mans weed is another man's show stopper!  Lately I have been introducing pinches of Utricularia species into my pots of Drosera: they actually seem to like it better there, but that's a topic for another thread.

Back