What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia hybridization

Hi,

Has anyone ever tried to cross-pollinate some Utricularia? If so, please tell me the species and how you did it. I would like to try to make the cross of U. sandersonii and livida. Is this possible ?

Christian

i've tryed with a section of fishing line , it's small flexible and not so tough that it would poke through the flower like a toth pick or a kneedle .

i'd also sugest trying a hair , probly a black one so you could see it i used one of mine it was sucsessfull , and it eventualy split open and i'm guessing the seeds were dispersed i'm gonna try to put a small plastic bag over and under the flower so i can hopefully catch some seeds ,
i tryed this with my sandersonii typical and blue.

hopeing to try my U.tridentata soon it's got a huge flower spike ........ i'm looking forword to seeing the flower.!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps.

anyone know how to induce flowering with a U.dichotoma ?

You can read my experience in my reply to the above post: "How much light...". My plants growing indoors flowered middle-sept: several clones at the same time which seems to suggest a photoperiodic relationship. I have heard that the flowering is triggered by the drying of the substrate, but I got abundant flowering when I placed the plant as a sub affixed aquatic. I think light plays an important role as well, since mine stubbornly refused to flower prior to its outdoor placement.

Can Utrics be selfed? I mean, do you need 2 differents clones of the same specie to produce seeds?

Barry could answer that question I bet. Let us chant together:

Yog Sothoth Yog Sothoth Yog Sothoth................

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can Utrics be selfed? I mean, do you need 2 differents clones of the same specie to produce seeds?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It depends on the species - several at least are self-fertile.

Giles

Back