What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everywhere!

Everywhere! EVERYWHERE! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! There are utricularia everywhere! They are all over in local ponds and such. I want to grow some, so is it ok if i just kinda take one and put it in a glass or what? I heard how to feed bladderworts is by taking a cup of water from a pond or something and putting it in the jar the plant is in. Is this true? answers would be nice.

Kevin

you will need to get permission from the land owners i think,if its not a protected species then i dont see the harm in taking some.get a good 6 inch fish bowl if your gonna grow some and yes taking pond water is a good way of feeding them.that is if the one your after is aquatic only.the most common utrics are u gibba and u subulata i think..

hope that helps
biggrin.gif

WHERE , WHERE , WHERE are the utrics . I'd like to have some ,where is the area and who is the land owner . tell me the address .

Tuyen,

Most CPs grow on the east coast of America. I've said before that the only thing we really have in California is Darlingtonia, and that's 700 miles north of us. Not only that, I don't believe we have ponds here
tounge.gif
. And seriously, just ask people for a trade, u. gibba can be fairly common, and it's much easier than getting someone to drive you to some pond who-knows-where or sending a weird letter to a guy asking for his pond weed...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! yeah, i agree that you should just trade someone for some. its much easier and you get plants that are already growing strong.

The area is NH and nobody owns the land. Besides, there are literally everywhere. when I go fishing there, they are the only things i catch.

PS. Tuyen Thi, you are pretty obsessed. Youy should probably see a doctor.

as soon as my u gibba get bigger il have some for trade,but if your gonna take some go to a local meijers or a pet shop and get you a glass or plastic 6 inch fishbowl sa u gibba grows well in that kind of container.throw in a little peat and fill with distilled water and your done.but they do like sun so keep them near a sunny window.

Those ones you see in the wild could be a few things if you're in California - most likely U. macrorhiza, U. minor or U. intermedia. U gibba, allthough present, is uncommon.

What do they look like? Are they huge long strings with lots of leaves and big bladders? That U. macrorhiza.

I doubt that field collecting could ever be a problem for the common NA species, but there are legal considerations.

Wow wild utrics. I havent seen any in CA, well maybe because i spend most of the time when im out in the wild looking for snakes
smile.gif
. Um..i did see a couple D.rotundfolia once when my family drove near oregon.

I love herps too... Anyway, These plants only eat bugs right
wink.gif
I might put one in with a water frog.

Back