What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patio and/or desktop bog

I read in some of Flint's earlier posts his willingness to discuss the building of bogs. Now that we are coming on winter in my neck of the woods, it is research time for next spring. I am interested in the concept of a patio bog; I assume that to be a bog that utilizes an undrained pot, that sits above ground rather than in the ground.

My CP collection, if it all makes the winter, is 2 VFT and 2 Sar's (One purpurea and one flava). I am in zone 5/6 (depending on which end of my yard you are in LOL) in Erie PA. I think my preferrence is to keep the plants in individual pots within the bog to avoid the stress of uprooting them in the fall for the winter. Although that is not etched in stone, which is why I am researching the whole thing.

So, does this give you a good starting point Flint? Thanks in advance. Linda ö¿ö

Linda,

Hi, I will try to remember to bring my gook on patio bogs in tommorrow, its all very easy though. As far as supplies go you will need, to the best of my memory, an 8" deep pot that is like 12" wide at the top or so. Your prefered soil mix and some stones to stack as a shore line or an un-sealed terra-cotta pot. I will type up all the directions for you tommorrow ok. :smile:

Thanks Flint,

Look forward to your directions. Not in a big hurry, have all winter to get it figured out. All of my babies are about ready to go to sleep for the winter. Thanks again.

Linda ö¿ö

OK, here we go. It's actually pretty easy if you want it to be, first before I do this I want to know what sort of a look you are trying to achieve and if you are wanting to incorporate a waterfall or stream or not ok. Second let me know about how big you are needing to build. And lastly if it is going to be indoor or outdoor. All these factors make subtle differances on the look and design of the finished product. I'm kinda excited to help you out with this so the sooner you answer the better.

Back