What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loving Them...

Well... I love them. Hehehe...

Ok, I just bought a small vase... Its sperical (with a flat bottom obvisously)... It is about four inches in diameter at the widest part, adn its opening is about three inches wide... Its around three and a half inches tall.

What kind of utirc do you think could fit into this dainty jar? I think it would indeed look pretty... I was thinking Utricularia bunny... I forget which species that is... Glass and little white flowers... Nice... I'm sure the medium would kinda uglyfy it, but wutever!!!

Also, what would be an ideal shapped vase for U. prehensilis? Would this thing work, or would it be too encased by the surrounding walls?

hey man

utric 'bunny' is U. sandersonii. it would do ok in a vase like that but it will out grow it very fast man. ive only had it for like a month or 2 and its takin off. well, good luck

-josh

I think U sandersonii would be the best choice. U. graminifolia or U. bisquamata would also be good, as would uliginosa, but uliginosa doesn't have the most spectacular flowers.

If it outgrows the container, just restart the colony and it will be blooming again in no time. Prehensilis has really long scapes (over 12 inches) and they would look kind of funny sticking out the top of the container. Unless that's the look your going for.

Is there any utric that would grow in straight silica sand? I think that the white sand w/ the clear glass would look better than brown/green stuff, hehehehehe....

The white sand will turn green pretty fast. But you could try it, U sandersonii would probably grow in pure sand. Or fill it with sand and make a little hollow which you fill with sphagnum, then cover with sand.

Or you could just stick in a 3 inch plastic pot like I do.

Hmmm... Never thought about the green... Hence the dried sphag tunring green too, right? Duh... Hehehe... Well... I'll try some of the thigns you suggested...

What kind of leaves does U. prehensilis make?

Nothing special. Couple cm long, few mm wide.

Back